Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Binoculars, 15x70's - A Dilemma

trynda1701

In defence of the Skymasters, I think they are more than impressive for the price (my mates say 'wow, that's amazing' whenever they take a look through!) and also seem plenty solid and durable (I've had mine a couple of years now with no issues). It seems to me if you're going to shell out for the more exotic binos, you might as well go the next step and progress to a small telescope, but each to his own I suppose :)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, iPhone keyboard and fat finger!

It seems that some Skymasters arrive collimated. And of course if someone hasn't looked Ar stars before through these, it is pretty impressive. However, the difference in what you can see with the better quality glass if the BAK 4, additional 7 degrees of FOV (i.e. a true FOV) of 70) is significant. Pin point sharp stars/less flare, less CA (chromatic abboration) and if course increased contrast. I decided to go to the the £300 mark for the ED glass (reduces CA).

As for getting a small scope, nothing is as quick as picking up the bins for a quick (or long) session, pure grab n go. To set a scope up takes time and dept ding on the type, some planning ahead. With our skies, the bins are a must to make the most if the seemingly rare opportunities.

Maybe we should also consider how good our eyes are. Im 58 (only by 3 days!) and my sight had degenerated considerably. This makes a big difference with the effect of the exit pupil maths (please look it up on other SGL posts)

Im near Heathrow/Ealing if any prospective purchasers want to try them out.

Clear skies.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies for the typo-infested last post by myself, 15hr days and tapatalk are my enemy!

Scarp, my version of the Apollo's (Delta Extreme ED) also have ill-fitting objective lens caps that just drop off so guess it's not uncommon!

@ Scarp 15, Got a pair of Helios 15x70s as well and find the lens cover which cover the eyepieces are very loose and fall off easily, how can I replace them for something which will stay on. Cheers :)

You are right, that is my only gripe with them. There have been several instances when they fell off when I was carrying the bins round my neck. Fortunately, I have always been able to find them in the dark, but they are an accident waiting to happen. Mine also came in a cheapish case, which I replaced by a suitable bag from Lowepro.

Interesting to learn that this is a common occurrence. I put up with the covers falling off for a year, it was on learning that a retailer was returning a batch that I got in touch and arranged an exchange. At first I thought that the replacement pair were slightly tighter, yet after I started to use them, they also fell off. Quite a suprise really because this does make them quite easy to loose (in the dark on grass) and the lens becomes a bit vulnerable. I think that the cold actually seems to make the material contract a bit. There is probably a solution, i.e. by adding a touch of rubber adhesive to thicken the edges.   

Hi Mark,

Please see my own comments here re the cheaper BAK 7 15x70's  http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/185920-25x100-binoculars/page-2#entry2112073.

The Chinese manufacturers of the majority of these branded Bins are here http://www.united-optics.com/products/binoculars/Giant_Binoculars/Giant_Binoculars.html

I found this a very informative about a year ago when I was a complete newbie (still am I think!).

Mark

Regarding the BA series, is there a retailer for the BA9/10 series, and has anyone ever used one and can comment on the differences?

I'm getting a feeling I should start saving for these, or drop a hint to Santa! :)

Two questions if I may. One, I'm going to get my interpupilliary distance measured, but what's the minimum the Apollos allow? (I have quite a narrow nose bridge).

And two, with the internal tripod bush on the Apollos, will they fit straight onto my Dynasun trigger/ball mount as is like my Jenoptems with the clamp Steve Tonkin recommends on the Binocular Sky site?

Mark

So, any answers to the above questions? Or, in the case of the second question, do I need a L bracket, as mentioned in the thread "L brackets, get what you pay for? Any Recs?" shown here...

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/201276-l-bracket-get-what-you-pay-for-any-recs/?view=getnewpost

So, any answers to the above questions? Or, in the case of the second question, do I need a L bracket, as mentioned in the thread "L brackets, get what you pay for? Any Recs?" shown here...

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/201276-l-bracket-get-what-you-pay-for-any-recs/?view=getnewpost

The Apollos fit on none of my tripods directly, but require an L-bracket (mine came supplied with one, the one I have is mentioned in the thread you refer to). Regarding interocular distance, I think the minimum is around 54 or 55 mm, but I can measure that when I get home this evening. As my own eyes are 72-73mm apart, I never really looked at the low end :bino1:

• 6 months later...

Well, having finally got my pennies together, on Wednesday evening put in my order for a set of Helios Apollo 15x70's from FLO. Got the conformation emails this afternoon that they have been dispatched, so now waiting with anticipation.

That of course means that for the next month it will be cloudy! (sorry folks). Will keep fingers crossed that doesn't actually come to pass, and that hopefully I'll have a first light report to post.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Archived