NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

25x100 Binoculars

Am I correct that astronomy binoculars need to be in near perfect collimation?

Within industry standards is fine. (Related to the apparent field of view, these are: 15 arcmin step, 45 arcmin convergence (of eyes), 20 arcmin divergence)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

For those that aren't aware, Kunmig/United Optics make various binoculars. Some look the same but basically, they have different quality control depending on the model. Their basic 15x70's (Celestron Skymaster and several other branded names) are shipped and rely on the consumer to be the 'quality tester'. some are of course better put together so there's an element of luck in it. I bought a pair a year or so ago and the collimation was out and they just didn't feel right. But then for £60 I not complaining. I then spent around £300 on another pair that came from the same factory but with 'in house quality control' and better components (I believe there are models that are around £150 that have the 'quality control' but with the same components/glass quality). Mine are the Delta Extreme ED 15x70's. They are identical to the Helios Apollo, TS Marine and various other brands but with, supposedly ED glass. They also provide a true 70mm aperture whereas the Skymaster (15x70) is actually 63mm. The differences between the two are staggering as most who have experienced would agree with.

No offence to Skymaster's or their owners, for the money they are amazing but they have to be a good pair but will not provide the levels of contrast and clarity that is available for a true 70mm lens.

Still awaiting the skies to clear so as to test my Granite 15x70ED roof prism bins in this thread  http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/200022-celestron-granite-12x50-ed-roof-prism-binos/

Out of curiosity I ordered my helios apollos and they have fieldmaster  wrote on mine, wondered if they have sent me different ones by mistake although they look identical to what I ordered, anyone have any clue as I haven't seen anything wrote on fieldmasters before?

Out of curiosity I ordered my helios apollos and they have fieldmaster  wrote on mine, wondered if they have sent me different ones by mistake although they look identical to what I ordered, anyone have any clue as I haven't seen anything wrote on fieldmasters before?

The Helios Apollo is a BA-8 type, and is sold under many different brand names (APM or TS Marine, Orion Resolux, etc), so maybe somebody messed up. What counts is whether they are good quality, not what badge they have. What I do find curious is that Fieldmaster is a Helios brand, but I haven't seen 15x70s

Well,I have the Helios Q4 25x100's and they're good. The tripod dilemma was fixed by an Olivon TR189 'pod, and an Olivon TRH16 head. The 'pod has a load of 17KG, the head loads to 16KG,so much spre capacity here. The Horizon 'pods areonly good for "normal" size bins , like 10x30 and the like .Not good for biggies, no way, no how. The Olivon gear cost me £212 ,not cheap ,but the sheer solidity of the steup ,and the knowledge of not expecting that expensive smashing sound is priceless.

Archived