Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Building my own pier

Watch out when you cut that stuff, it has a tendency to gain a very sharp pointy bit when you cut the seam, its nasty stuff.

The way the ducting guys mark it for cutting a square end is :-

Get a big piece of paper, like a broadsheet newspaper and fold it in half (this gives you a straight edge everytime).

Wrap the folded paper round the tube and get it so that the fold lines up. The edge of the paper is then a straight line round the tube square to the axis.

Mark round the edge of the paper next to the fold and you're done.

To cut it, use a jigsaw or hacksaw, but watch the seam as it makes it harder and, like I said, it gets very sharp.

Good luck,

Kaptain Klevtsov

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Well Craig, I hope you have made a start on your pier as I have almost completed the mount top for it. No pics yet as I dont have a bluetooth adaptor for the pooter therefor no way of getting the photos off the phone.

I'll take my camera into work and take some pics though at the stage it is just now. I think its a bit of a beast, the top part is machined from a single piece of 100mm round bar, the base plate is machined from a piece of 200mm round bar, all tied together with 3 pieces of M16 screwed rod 175mm long............ :D

Speak to you soon mate,

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Good news Craig, your pier top mount is finished. I brought it home today and tried it out with my CG5, fits like a glove........ :thumbright:

All you have to do is give it a wee coat of paint, Hammerite would match in with the EQ mount, see pics below..................

BTW, whilst I was in the mood for this sort of thing i have also started on 1 for myself, just in case I build a pier..... :D

3303_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

3304_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

You can pick it up anytime or I'll pass it to you next time we meet............

Gary

The uprights are galv, so no rust, the base plate is stainless, also no rust. The only part that really needs painted is the top section as that is mild steel. So you dont really need to paint it all if you dont want to.

Anyhoo, let me know when you are coming through so that I can arrange to be in.

Cheers,

Gary

Thanks Ron , :D, I am quite pleased as to how it came out. There was a few hours work in it, some of that was design so the 1 I am making for myself just now should be a a bit quicker.

BTW, I could be persuaded to go into small scale production of these if there is any demand for them.

Gary

The uprights are galv, so no rust, the base plate is stainless, also no rust. The only part that really needs painted is the top section as that is mild steel.

Hi Gary,

Just a thought; could you zinc plate and clear passivate the MS piece to get a bright finish with reasonable corrosion resistance?

Ian

I would think that would be possible Ian, but that is upto Craig. I dont have that sort of facility at work although I could have phosphated it but that would have dulled it right down.

Hows your DIY dob mount getting on? Did you get the feet problem sorted out?

Thanks Ron , :D, I am quite pleased as to how it came out. There was a few hours work in it, some of that was design so the 1 I am making for myself just now should be a a bit quicker.

BTW, I could be persuaded to go into small scale production of these if there is any demand for them.

Gary

Be careful, you may find yourself inundated with orders. :D

Gary,

How is it going to be stuck in the tube/cement? Are you stull hoping to get hold of some long threaded stuff?

I suppose I will just get some black hammerite, it just looks lovely when it is all nice and shiny! I will give you a call and arrange to pick it up.

Well chuffed with it so far, I owe you a couple of pints when we are at Kielder!!!

Oh Kielder, the pub, the Ale and the food, who needs dark skies.................. :D

As far as fixing it down is concerned, take a look at these.................. http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/FAIFXTB12180.html?id=2Dxqf87p we will need 3 of them when the time comes. We use them at work to bolt all sorts of heavy machinery to the floor so I'm quite sure they will be good enough for our purposes.

Speak to you soon mate,

Gary

Oh Kielder, the pub, the Ale and the food, who needs dark skies.................. :D

As far as fixing it down is concerned, take a look at these.................. http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/FAIFXTB12180.html?id=2Dxqf87p we will need 3 of them when the time comes. We use them at work to bolt all sorts of heavy machinery to the floor so I'm quite sure they will be good enough for our purposes.

Speak to you soon mate,

Gary

Ah, I see!

We can get the pillar in place all concreted up, let it dry and THEN mark/drill for the head. Cool!!

Speak to you soon mate,

Gary

Ah, I see!

We can get the pillar in place all concreted up, let it dry and THEN mark/drill for the head. Cool!!

Yup thats right, just for you to do your part now and get the pillar cast.........................

Gary

Hi Gary,

I would think that would be possible Ian, but that is upto Craig. I dont have that sort of facility at work although I could have phosphated it but that would have dulled it right down.

When I replied I thought it was for you for some unknown reason, I must of skipped the important bit :insects1: I agree about the phosphate - too dull and industrial looking.

Hows your DIY dob mount getting on? Did you get the feet problem sorted out?

The Dob mount is almost finished :lol: it's been a long haul but I'm getting there now. The thing that's taken the time is the varnish, I've been doing it in work (less dust but lower temperature) and it's taken an age for each coat to dry. I've taken some pics but I'm waiting until it's finished completely before I post them all :D

I'm putting fixed feet on it for now, I've got setting circles printed out but I'm not going to fit them for the time being - I just want to start using it :D

Cheers,

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Well the day has arrived, my cement mixer is arriving this morning and I already have a pallete of 15 bags of sand/stones waiting.

What is amusing is my neighbour who works in the council road department came over and laughed when I told hime everybody on here said to get a mixer. I would have done that little ammount by hand he said! All those folks must work in offices....Cheecky git!

Anyway I will get some before and after pictures and stick 'em in here later.

Well it's been a very busy but productive weekend. The hole was finished off, and the tube inserted. It has now been concreted in as well. Tomorrow I am going to raise the level of the ground a little (the tube is erm....A bit too high :D) and get some paving to finish it all off. Once the weather improves I can get it painted black. The top of the tube is also thankfully nice and level 8)

Anyway here are some piccies of the progress.

3824_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

3825_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

3826_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

3827_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Archived