NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What has been your most thrilling view?

neil groves

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sat on culver down on a gorgeous summers day in 2004 and watched Venus slide across the sun from one side to the other

in serene quiet. I was looking through a 20cm newtonian with a full aperture filter.

At times I actually thought I could feel the earth moving through space. (Probably says more about me than transits)

I love seeing comets, planets/moon events and deep sky objects but those hours on the downs will go to my grave with me.

To make things even better I also saw it in 2012 (Long Glimpses through cloud)......a very lucky geezer.

Mick.

Have only been at it two months but having a blast. The winner so far is the Double Cluster, found it on my second attempt. It was amazing in my 114 mm reflector. The same night the moon came up late and just as it came up it was behind some trees.  I checked it out and the tree branches superimposed on the moon was surreal. 

For me, probably finally locating the ring nebula was a real eureka moment (it's so small until you know how to spot it!).

As was coming back to the eyepiece centred on M31 to get such a clearer view of it than ever before. It was amazing, not sure what changed - dark adaption plus exceptional skies I guess. It was truly glorious, M31, M32 and M110 all in one wide-field view through the eyepiece. And all for a couple of hundred pounds, yet the impact was priceless.

• 2 weeks later...

Viewing M31 through the binoculars, when a pair of satellites gave it a flyby, flanking the galaxy. Unexpected, unrepeatable, and unforgettable.

Close second would be seeing the Venus transit last year. I really thought I'd miss it, but the clouds parted just in time to see a clear notch in the limb of the Sun.

Upon receiving my first scope I typed Jupiter into the keypad. It slewed and upon hitting its mark I took to the eyepiece expecting to see black sky but instead there was Jupiter and it's moons.... I was stunned. "Awesome" gets tossed around a lot. This was awesome in the truest sense of the word.

- Nate

Birmingham, AL

1st of August this year - yes the middle of summer - taking a long gander up from M8, viewing the Lagoon, Triffid, Swan and Eagle nebulae, numerous open clusters, and the Small Sagittarius star cloud, all without coming away from the eyepiece. I was there for ages, I started to cramp. It was kind of "Well it can't get any better - oh, the Eagle nebula is visible! And I can see shape!"

Fantastic. Roll on more summer astronomy (after the winter first, obviously!)

Archived