NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newcomer with new bins

Iced Earth

Hello everyone, I'm a complete newcomer to stargazing and after much deliberation have purchased my first binocualrs.

After trawling many threads on this forum I decided on some Strathspey marine 10x50, must say they seem quite robust! I used them for the first time today to view various terrestrial objects and some ships off the coast here at Lowestoft, the views were impressive.

I also purchased a Planisphere and have downloaded Stellarium, I'm raring to go!

My girlfriend seems quite interested in stargazing and I was thinking about buying her some bins for a Christmas present. The Helios Naturesport 8x40 look quite suitable, any other suggestions welcome.

All the best, Iced Earth

Welcome to SGL Iced Earth. Good kit you've chosen there, I reckon your research has paid off.

Steve Tonkin's Binocular Astronomy Edition 2 would be a good next purchase or Christmas Box....http://www.amazon.co.uk/Binocular-Astronomy-Patrick-Moore-Practical/dp/1461474663/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383931694&sr=1-1

Hello again Patrick, I have left a link on your intro on the welcome page it's

to the Binocular Sky which is a great site, you have chosen well, great pair

of bins, and the Helios Naturesport  8x40s would also be a great choice for

your girlfriend, you have certainly done your homework, well done on both

counts. 

Thank you all for the warm welcome and valued help.

Will definitely look into the Steve Tonkin bin book, perhaps something my girlfriend could add to my Christmas list :D

Thanks for the advice Ron, much appreciated. Guess what? ... I've already visited the BinocularSky website on many occasions recently! really learned a lot from there.

8x40's are on their way for my girlfriend and some warmer clothes :D

Cheers fellas!

Hi and welcome. I have only recently been observing with binoculars and I have the Helios Naturesport-Plus 10x50 which are blumming good.

Seen lots of objects with them so I'm sure you will enjoy yours once you get going.

Gald your enjoying it and had a good look at Comet Lovejoy with my Helios Apollo 15x70s 2 nights ago near the Beehive cluster in Cancer and had a terrific view. Stellarium is very good and just downloaded it myself, Never too sure what is the best settings on the settings menu though. :)

Thanks Jason, I will try the star walk app... I need all the help I can get!

Had a good nights viewing last night, early evening I viewed the moon in my bins for the first time and was amazed at the detail, also Venus and I think Pluto for the first time. Headed back home for a cuppa and check stellarium before venturing out again in the cold evening.

Chose a different viewing point on my second outing at 10.15pm, the darkest I could find on foot due to street lights and a nearby equivalent of Blackpool illuminations! ended up on the beach, quite cold but I was well wrapped up and viewing conditions were good.

I was mainly observing Jupiter, had some really nice views, switching between Orion and Auriga. Then on the horizon I noticed something really bright and changing colours, thanks to Google sky map I found Sirius :) Looked over to Jupiter again at 11.13pm before heading home and saw a shooting star blaze just underneath my view of Jupiter.... I was in amazed! All in all a really pleasant evening for a newbie.

A warm welcome to the SGL 

I think your choices are very good and for your girlfriend, they will not be to heavy for here 

well I hope you had a clear night Sunday like I had and got some viewing in Jupiter was low in the sky but I hope you got a look at It's moons 

congratulations on your new bins 

clear skies

Had a good nights viewing last night, early evening I viewed the moon in my bins for the first time and was amazed at the detail, also Venus and I think Pluto for the first time.. I was in amazed! All in all a really pleasant evening for a newbie.

Though Pluto will require much greater aperture than something hand-holdable, the eight other planets are all accessable to your 10x50s, as well as tremendous numbers of DSOs.

Though Pluto will require much greater aperture than something hand-holdable, the eight other planets are all accessable to your 10x50s, as well as tremendous numbers of DSOs.

Many thanks for the heads up, I shall certainly remember this info - appreciated.

Some useful links for me to browse through and absorb the info available, great stuff :)

Archived