Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Taurus and a neat find.

cotterless45

Very strange night, seeing started out quite good, then got fuzzy so packed in. Just locked everything up, looked around and it was clear so got everything out again !

Have a look at NGC 2169 above Orion, it's a nice number 37 on it's side at x50.

There's a tiny blue planetary nebula between Betelgeuse and Meissa, NGC is a tiny point of blue, but will blink in and out of direct view.

Over to Taurus and the splendid Hyades, a brilliantly packed bright region with cluster NGC 1647 and NGC 1746 leading the way to M1.

I noticed two doubles close together on p15 of PSA , go from Pleiades to the top corner of the page. Or if you have GOTO put in SAO 075970 ( Struve 7 and Struve 401 ) and you'll find another double double at x50. Really a stunning find with a pair of yellow stars tipping towards a pair of whites. This is worth finding and much brighter than the Pegasus double double.

The sky was glowing with street light pollution and dew was building up, even

Jupiter looked fuzzy so I packed up again. Find that double double, hurrah !

Nick.

Yes the seeing was fuzzy last night - although there were very clear patches at the Zenith so I didn't drag the scope out and decided to go for a walk on a hill in the dark. It was great gazing at the Cygnus region from a spot 1800ft above sea level.  :)

Thanks for the heads up regarding the planetary around Orion. I'll watch out for that when it swings round to my observation FOV. :)

Nice report. I assume the planetary nebula you refer to is NGC 2022. It is a really nice one. It holds magnification well. Another near-stellar PN in that neighbourhood is Jonckheere 320 (J320) northwest of 16 Orionis. I could not resolve it but switching from UHC filter to no filter shows the telltale blinking.

I noticed two doubles close together on p15 of PSA , go from Pleiades to the top corner of the page. Or if you have GOTO put in SAO 075970 ( Struve 7 and Struve 401 ) and you'll find another double double at x50. Really a stunning find with a pair of yellow stars tipping towards a pair of whites. This is worth finding and much brighter than the Pegasus double double.

Hi Nick, this is the first thing I looked at tonight. As you say they are a great sight and worth looking for. I had the best view at 69mag, they became at bit wobbly and too dim at 120. Thanks for pointing them out.

Always love your observing reports Nick, fascinating read and usually a great romp around the sky.    Never fails to set me off dreaming about visual treats and freedom of a 10-12" dob.

Need to dust of the AR152S and see if I can resolve the collimation issues for some free roaming widefield views.

Archived