Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

"All About Telescopes" by Sam Brown

bambuko

I have few books about making telescopes but not this one and it seems to be mentioned quite a lot on interweb.

Is it still "the book to buy" for diy ATM?

Anybody owns a copy and would care to comment/recommend (or not)?

Cheapest one I could find on Amazon UK, was £27.95 + £2.85 p&p, which is the usual $1=1£ rate for imports from US I guess...

Or directly from Edmund Scientific for $29.95 plus whatever it would cost to post...

Since it first came out in the mid 1960's I've had a copy on my shelf.

It covers all you'll even need to know about the basics of telescope and mounting design. Most of the smaller scopes he describes were based on (what was then available) Edmund Optical components, Surplus Shed have many suitable bits....

Highly recommended.

Thanks for your recomendation Merlin66 - I have ordered a copy.

Thanks jambouk - book butler didn't come back with better price than what I found directly on Google and Amazon, but it might be useful in other cases.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a copy of Sam Browns great book sat on my bookshelf. I bought it in the mid-1980's from Broadhurst Clarkson & Fuller at Telescope House, Farringdon Road, London. It's a really interesting book and uses a rather unique, almost comic strip, style to get across some very comprehensive info on optics and their design. It's mostly in imperial mesurements though so be ready with your metric converters !

• 2 months later...

I use Alibris.com and ABEBooks.com when I'm searching for old books.  I believe that's where I got my copy.  The index a number of used book sites, some in the UK, and some which are salvage/charity dealers (which often have prices which are lower than the shipping charge!)

Archived