Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Open Club  ·  33 members

West Midlands

Hello from Sutton Coldfield

Paulhenry85

I've enjoyed great clear intervals tonight, seeing M27, M57, double cluster and albireo. This has got me thinking ahead for the next clear night, as I am plagued by light pollution where I live having a street light at the front and back of my house!! normally I drive to Bar Beacon when I'm with a friend or my brother as it is good, but hauling a telescope up a hill in the dark isn't fun and awkward.

Does anyone have any suggestion for any other observing sites.

Also anyone fancy linking up weather permitting, none of my mates are interested and it's hard to keep them interested when they are cold.

hi Paul. I used to live in sutton but moved to tamworth a few years ago. Barr beacon isn't brilliant to be honest as you get light pollution from most of the west midlands. A place i have found is up the a38 from you near Burton. Its about a half hour drive but if you go on a clear night when the moon is out the way the views are amazing. I remember seeing the Orion nebula from there and couldn't believe how much of it i wasn't able to see from home, even though from my back garden you can see the milky way on a clear night. I have been up there with a couple of other sgl'ers so would be happy to meet up with you if interested. Might have to wait a couple of weeks as I've just had an op and can't lift my scope yet but should be able to get up there in time for some ison viewing!

Clear skies

ian

Welcome to SGL Paul, this is the place for enthusiasm, I am sure that you'll find masses on here. Is there an astro society near you that you could go to? I'm sure a google search would find something.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

hi Paul. I used to live in sutton but moved to tamworth a few years ago. Barr beacon isn't brilliant to be honest as you get light pollution from most of the west midlands. A place i have found is up the a38 from you near Burton. Its about a half hour drive but if you go on a clear night when the moon is out the way the views are amazing. I remember seeing the Orion nebula from there and couldn't believe how much of it i wasn't able to see from home, even though from my back garden you can see the milky way on a clear night. I have been up there with a couple of other sgl'ers so would be happy to meet up with you if interested. Might have to wait a couple of weeks as I've just had an op and can't lift my scope yet but should be able to get up there in time for some ison viewing!

Clear skies

ian

Sounds really good is there an address, I wouldn't mind having a recky in the day.

Hi Paul,

I haven't got an address or a postcode but I have found it on google earth. As you go out of Kings Bromley going north, there are two laybys on the left hand side of the road. The second one is the best as its further away from the lights of the village.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=kings+bromley&ll=52.753932,-1.815008&spn=0.001575,0.004061&hnear=King's+Bromley,+Staffordshire,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=h&z=18

HTH

Clear Skies

Ian

Hi Paul,

I haven't got an address or a postcode but I have found it on google earth. As you go out of Kings Bromley going north, there are two laybys on the left hand side of the road. The second one is the best as its further away from the lights of the village.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=kings+bromley&ll=52.753932,-1.815008&spn=0.001575,0.004061&hnear=King's+Bromley,+Staffordshire,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=h&z=18

HTH

Clear Skies

Ian

Thanks I forgot to mention in this post I also regularly weather permitting Visit a field which strangely enough is about 5min away from where you have suggested the field has great 360deg views. 5 back lane, Yoxall, Hadley End, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire DE13 8PF

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

You guys should come along to the Rosliston astronomy group monthly meeting (would be about half way for both of you) or join our mailing list ?? I'm keen to have weekends of imaging etc etc and any company would be excellent 

• 2 years later...

Hi, I know this post is really old. I live just 5 mins from Rosliston and have been looking for spots around there...further out towards Abbots Bromley and South of Uttoxeter way. Anyone still meeting or been out recently. Been thinking of setting up in a layby out in the middle of nowhere but feels a little vulnerable. Have asked a few farmers if it was okay to pop over their gate and set up in a field but not got the best reply's!

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 10:50, Z3roCool said:

Anyone still meeting or been out recently?

If you're close to Rosliston the best thing to do is try to attend a club night at the forestry centre- they're on twice a month; the details are here: http://www.roslistonastronomy.org.uk/calendar.html

It's a good enthusiastic group and will probably help you find people for this sort of thing.

Archived