Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Need help picking a 7mm eyepiece.

Paulhenry85

I'm looking to purchase a 7mm eyepiece, I've narrowed my search down to:

Skywatcher Nirvana UWA 82-degree FOV

Skywatcher Sky Panorama Eyepieces 82-degree FOV

Celestron Luminos Eyepieces 82-degree FOV

Has anyone any opion on these or suggestions, I've only got a budget of £150.

I have a SW 200p dob (f6) telescope a 10mm, 25mm and a 32mm panaview

The William Optics UWAN range really are top draw (in fact, the only reason I didn't get the whole set is due to the rather restricted range). Very similar to the Nirvanas I believe.

The 6.7mm WO was top of the list along with the 6.7mm Meade 5000 but one seems to sell either out of stock everywhere I tried

The William Optics UWAN range really are top draw (in fact, the only reason I didn't get the whole set is due to the rather restricted range). Very similar to the Nirvanas I believe.

I agree - very nice eyepieces and both ranges seem to be identical from the ones that I have used. The Nirvana / UWAN's are very close to Nagler performance. Pity the range was not made more extensive - they could have really made an impact on the ultra wide eyepiece market before ES came on the scene.

Could I be a right pain and get a link?

Here you go...

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/TeleVue_Nagler_7mm_Eyepiece_1_25__.html

Expensive new but as I say, if you are patient you may get a used one boxed and with caps in very good condition for around that price.

UWANs are nice too though, I had the 28mm for quite a while and enjoyed it.

Stu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congrats. For what it's worth I have the 7mm Nagler and I don't like it..... (Waiting for the baying mob!) I find it very hard to look through. I've never looked through a Nirvana but I do own an Aero ED which I like very much. Skywatcher can and do make some nice eyepieces. Hope you enjoy it ;)

:smiley: Congratualtions - good choice !

I've owned 3 of the Nirvana's / UWAN's (they are the same eyepieces) and they were all excellent and very close to Nagler performance. The 7mm Nirvana is virtually identical in use, eye lens diameter and eye relief to the 7mm T6 Nagler. The Nirvana's / UWAN's have a twist up and down eye cup though which is quite a nice feature and worth playing with to get the best position for you.

Congrats. For what it's worth I have the 7mm Nagler and I don't like it..... (Waiting for the baying mob!) I find it very hard to look through. I've never looked through a Nirvana but I do own an Aero ED which I like very much. Skywatcher can and do make some nice eyepieces. Hope you enjoy it ;)

Is your 7mm a Type 1 or Type 6 Nagler Dave ?.

The T1's had shorter eye relief than the T6's and I found eye positioning rather critical with the T1's to get good results. The T6's are easier in this respect although some care is still needed.

I hope I'm not the baying mob !  :smiley:

It's a T6 John. Yes my Aero has that twist eye cup feature and it really is quite simple but effective. Can I just say if your sharpening a pitchfork and lighting a torch right now, I am not the Dave Garland that lives in Bradley Stoke ok! Joking aside though it's only my personal experience. The naglers do seem to hold a cult status and it must be for good reason. Delos on the other hand.... Mmmm.

Archived