Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Image stabilizing binoculars

jdg600

I really enjoy using binoculars hand-held for quick observing sessions and have been considering the possibility of getting some Canon IS binoculars. Obviously I'd like the 15x50s but unfortunately they're way out of my reach price-wise. I might just be able to stretch to the 10x30s. Now I know that according to the conventional wisdom 30mm is way to small an objective lens to be of use for astronomy but I've seen it stated on several sites that the image stabilization more than makes up the the lack of aperture with these bins and that they are actually quite good for astronomy.

Can this really be true? I'd very much appreciate any views on this. Also, if anyone is actually using these I'd be interested to hear how the views compare with a pair of 10x50 or 8x40.

Thanks,

John

Tried them out some years ago and best I can say is they are great, very impressed. Somewhat odd shape. Not sure if the 15x are the highest magnification but when I tried there were 3 options and the greastest magnification ones did not seem quite as good as the 2 lower magnifications. Likely the stabilisation was working at the extreme on them so working hard. Some reason makes me think there were 18x as that time, may have been 10x, 12x and 15x, too long ago to recall.

Chunky, and as I recall a bit of weight so do not expect to hold them to your eyes for 10 or 20 minute periods continuously. But even with lighter ones people view for short periods anyway.

Not sure how long the batteries last, so if going out to use them carry spares in your pockets - assumes they are normal batteries.

I reviewed the Canon 8 x 30 IS binoculars for the Sunday Times INGEAR magazine and found them to be exceptionally good - I could clearly see the bands on Jupiter with them. The only negative that I can think of was that there was some chromatic aberration. Pressing the IS button was like 'freezing time' - I loved them!

Pressing the button is like switching on a tripod (really!) and I do like the Canons. On the other hand you could put the same cash into seriously premium glass and settle for a lower magnification. It's a tough call. In the end I went for second hand Leicas, unstabilized. The optics are certainly better but only a shoot out will really tell you which you prefer.

Olly

I have 15x50is and think they are fantastic. The stabilization does give them some extra ability to see deeper I think, just because the image is much more stable. I chose the x15 over x18 I think because I didn't want the stabilization to have to work too hard, and actually wanted the wider field of view. I use a scope for higher powers and the binos for Widefield so I think that was the better compromise.

Can't totally answer your question re the smaller aperture ones, but would think they would still be useful

Stu

Hi

I have the 10 x 42L IS ones. They use the same optics as the L series lens - so less chromatic aberration and as Olly would say "seriously premium glass".

I love them! Truly spectacular - and the IS is worth it's weight in Gold. Especially if your hands are as shaky as mine are.

I think the 10 x 42L is the pick of the bunch.

Cheers

Ian

Hi

I have the 10 x 42L IS ones. They use the same optics as the L series lens - so less chromatic aberration and as Olly would say "seriously premium glass".

I love them! Truly spectacular - and the IS is worth it's weight in Gold. Especially if your hands are as shaky as mine are.

Cheers

Ian

I'm quite sure you are right Ian. Would absolutely love a pair but they are just a little beyond my reach currently. Maybe one day.

Stu

I have the Canon IS 18X50's and they are great, I use them much more than my 8"cpc or 4"refractor because in the nw of Ireland changing weather is a big limiting factor to setting up a scope. These are a pick up and go small telescope and as you get used to them the detail they can resolve is amazing, even without the IS on. The 18X50 have problems, they are heavy, the eye rubber is not comfortable, some people have problems with focus and they are expensive! Battery life has never been a problem for me - all in all I would not be without them and if I could only keep one piece of observing equipment it would be my image stabilised binoculars.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have the Canon 18x50 IS and I also love them. They're brilliant. So easy to just grab at a moments notice and begin observing. I've literally seen satellites tracking across the sky with the naked eye, raced in to grab the bins, and been out in time to catch a glimpse. Try doing that with a telescope!

The 18x50's are reasonable weighty, but certainly not to the point where they limit my observing. I had to smile when I read that you would struggle to hold them to your eyes for 10-20 mins at a time. Try holding your bare hands up to your eyes with a pretend pair of bino's for that amount of time. I don't reckon I could do it.

The image stabilisation works a treat. I have never felt that it was struggling at all on the larger 18x50's. And the image quality is sensational. I posted on here awhile ago, back when I first got them, that I was able to faintly resolve Saturns rings through them. I have absolutely no doubt than many think I was lying, but I swear it to be true. This, in my opinion, confirmed to me that I personally made the right choice for me in going for the larger pair.

Good post by the way. I love reading of others experiences with IS bino's :)

I was able to faintly resolve Saturns rings through them. I have absolutely no doubt than many think I was lying, but I swear it to be true.

I have absolutely no doubt that it's true. I've managed to see dark space between the ansae and the disc with the 15x70 Apollo (mounted); others confirmed it. Resolution isn't an issue at 50mm, and 18x gives you an edge over 15x.

I have absolutely no doubt that it's true. I've managed to see dark space between the ansae and the disc with the 15x70 Apollo (mounted); others confirmed it. Resolution isn't an issue at 50mm, and 18x gives you an edge over 15x.

Thank you, Steve :) you were one of the believers when I first told the story! ;)

Hi

Cheers

Ian

Couldn't agree more!! Sell the house, sell your kids, sell the wife, and sell a kidney to get the money for them - they're awesome!

(I quite like them if you couldn't tell lol) :)

I've tried the 10x42 and liked them.  However, there is a significant difference between 42 and 50.  For a long time I've been using a cheap pair of Bresser 10x"50"s and it is only since buying a pair of WO 10x50s that it's dawned on me that the Bressers are stopped down to around 42.  Obviously there is a difference in the optical quality of the 2 pairs of binos but the additional light grasp of the WOs is very evident.  Viewing star clusters is a very different experience.  If you already have a lightweight tripod with a decent head, and are thinking of more extended periods of bino observing you might want to consider a quality pair of genuine 10x50s over an IS pair of 10x42s.  For quick sweeps of the sky IS might be a better bet, at a price.  IS are brilliant on board a yacht!!

Have a set of the 10x 30 Canon IS and a pair of 10x 50 Helios Naturewatch binoculars. The 10 x 30 is binoculars are head and shoulders above the 10 x 50's in steadyness, image quality, and ease and comfort of use as they are much lighter. The lack of jitter makes a fantastic difference to what you can see, Jupiters moons easily visible hand held with IS on, but not without it for example

The 10 x 30 is binoculars are head and shoulders above the 10 x 50's

I'd hope so, given the price differential!

Jupiters moons easily visible hand held with IS on, but not without it for example

They should be! Jupiter's moons can be visible in those plastic lensed 4x20s you get in £3.99 kids "explorer" toy kits.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Archived