Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Preparations for new EQ8 mount

Gina

I've been getting ready for the arrival of my new EQ8 mount - expected tomorrow.  As some will already know, I have arranged a hoist to make changing scopes or removing/replacing the mount much easier. 

Firstly I took the Atik 460EX and EFW2 off the MN190 and then lowered the 190 to the floor (forgot to take a photo of this part but I think I've posted it before).  The rest (so far) are covered in the photos.

Attached the hoist rope to the NEQ6 ready to lift that off and removed weights etc.

post-13131-0-94023600-1382369919_thumb.j  post-13131-0-43095900-1382369928_thumb.j

After removing the three screws attaching the top of the pier extention to the tube I lifted the mount etc. with the hoist and lowered it to the floor.

post-13131-0-92682400-1382369932_thumb.j  post-13131-0-97500100-1382369936_thumb.j

These photos shows the winch used as a hoist.

post-13131-0-43792100-1382369941_thumb.j  post-13131-0-32564300-1382369946_thumb.j

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

will that hoist be heavy duty enough for the EQ8 Gina? i bet your very excited i would be you already have some very nice kit and adding a EQ8 to it aswell

I'm hoping so :D  Yes, I think it will be but I'll do a test first.  The rope/cord is rated at over a tonne so that won't break.  Previous tests have shown that the winch motor just stalls on overload - some time ago I had it opening and closing my roof and it just stalled when the roof was fully closed - the tension in the rope was considerable :D  (I never got round to finishing the winch control with limit switches etc. as I decided to use it as a hoist instead.)

Can't wait to see it up and running. Looks like you might have to repaint your pier black :). Make sure to give a good report as that might be my next upgrade purchase...if I can sneak it past the wife.

Yes, I was thinking about the colour - definitely thinking of going for black for the pier adapter :D  That's if i can bear to wait for painting (and drying) before trying the mount :D

I shall certainly do my best to provide a good report but I'm not sure I shall be testing all the aspects but we'll see.  I'll be interested to see if it's possible to use the hand controller without having to wait what seemed an age for it to finish telling you not to point the scope at the sun, as I had with the NEQ6 SynScan Handset :D 

I shall certainly be seeing how long I can get exposures without star trailing, without guiding.  One of the problems I've have with the NEQ6 and PHD is that some cloud comes over, PHD loses the star and can't re-acquire it when the cloud goes because the mount has gone too far off course.  I have lost a number of hours of overnight unattended run subs due to this.  I'm hoping (indeed expecting) that with the EQ8 the mount will continue to track on target during a few minutes of cloud passing by.

OTOH if there are any specific tests other members would like carried out that don't result in my losing too much valuable imaging time, I'd be happy to oblige :)  And, of course, I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Maybe run some tests with EQMOD, the park position would be really handy...

I shall be using EQMOD and will be using the custom park position as I do now.

Is the winch going to be used a lot of just to swap out the mounts?  If you're using it a lot it would probably be worth putting a clip on the rope then having an adaptor to clamp to a scope mount to join them.  Just that look of rope just looks like a slip away from disaster!

Now I've got an EQ8 I think my scopes will be going on and staying on - this mount will take the lot :)  I was going to do something like that but not got round to it :D

Now I have the EQ8 I have some more information.

The centre M12 threaded hole in the mount bottom plate is about 18mm but the bolt isn't limited as there's plenty of space above and the bolt can go right through.  A bolt that extends 60mm above the mounting plate can be accommodated.  It would be best if the centre bolt has an unthreaded part that can run in a 12mm hole with minimal slop - that will make PA azimuth adjustment easier by reducing backlash.

"I'll be interested to see if it's possible to use the hand controller without having to wait what seemed an age for it to finish telling you not to point the scope at the sun, as I had with the NEQ6 SynScan Handset :D "

Just press enter during the message. Works on the NEQ6 anyway.

"I'll be interested to see if it's possible to use the hand controller without having to wait what seemed an age for it to finish telling you not to point the scope at the sun, as I had with the NEQ6 SynScan Handset :D "

Just press enter during the message. Works on the NEQ6 anyway.

That didn't work on mine - guess it must have been faulty.  Thanks for the reply :)  I thought it shouldn't really be like that.

Things are going rather slowly, I'm afraid, so in spite of clear skies forecast for tonight, I very much doubt I shall be ready for imaging today.  I don't want to rush anything - I'd rather take a bit longer than take any risks with valuable equipment.

Archived