Skywatcher Evostar 120 with EQ3-2/EQ3-PRO/EQ5

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to own the same set up, it will wobble on that mount, usable but begs for a stronger mount, that was 15 years ago, and i have a strong dislike for "undermounted scopes" so i would still say 200 dob

I love refractors and have owned a couple of the Evostar 120's and a couple of 8" dobs too but I'd go for the 200P dob every time over the Evostar 120. The F/8.3 120's are undermounted on the aluminum legged EQ3-2 mount as well.

On a stable mount they are not bad scopes as such but the 200P dob is just ...... better :smiley:

I use an Evostar 120 on an EQ5 and it is fine - I use it for Solar photography when the Sun blocked by trees from my observatory.  I would suggest that anything less than the EQ5 would be undermounted.  However given the choise I would go for the 200P Dobsonian as a better all round scope.

I check the collimation of my Newtonians every time I set up, but they very rarely need much more than a slight tweak of the primary. It is really no big deal and should be thought of in the same ways as checking the tuning before playing the guitar. It is just something you do without really thinking about it.

I think the advice given above is very sound and the Dobsonian will definitely pull in more light than the refractor.

Just to give a different perspective, and as a self confessed refractor-aholic, I'd prefer the Evostar 120 as long as it was mounted on an EQ5 mount - or better still a CG-5 mount as the tripod is far superior to the lighter EQ5 tripod.

I "look after" my future son-in-law's Evo 120 while he's at university (it's his first scope) and I'd offer the following pro's and cons of it:

Pros

Very sharp, tight stellar images

Very easy to use without cricking your neck looking up a Dobsonian finderscope tube (unless you have a right angled one)

Better contrast and sharp across more of the field due to the longer Focal ratio.

Looks like a proper scope!

More comfy to view in the seated position, with the Dob you'll need to stand and some people (me included) find it easier to keep my head/eye still when seated.

You can use big, heavy 2" widefield eyepieces quite easily as you can re-balance the scope tube. With a Dob it might become top heavy with a large eyepiece in situ..

Cons

You will see some chromatic aberration (violet fringing) on bright objects - some people can see past it (I can), others can't. Below about magnitude 2 it's not an issue.

It does need a decent mount to keep it steady and get the best out of the higher powers

Probably takes up a bit more room (the Dob would be slightly easier to store when not in use.

I'm sure that the Dob fans can offer an equally convincing and valid pros and cons argument in favour of that particular design..

Either scope will give you great views, so good luck with your choice :-)

Dave

Unlikely, not impossible. Loads of folks like them and use them, I use nothing else. 99 times out of a hundred when someone asks about using a refractor the general response on SGL is buy a DOB, no one could surely deniy that, its a fact, count the posts, the reasons being they are better on all targets (subjective, except fuzzy blobs, better imaged if that's your bag I MHO) and cheaper (certainly)

You like what you like when all is said and done, you also buy what you can afford, I certainly respect that, very, very much. It just seems a shame that when threads are started by folks genuinely interested in refractors they are invariably hijacked by the buy a dob lobby.

Thats why I am amazed anyone would buy one for visual use.

The problem with recommending a frac, like the evo 120, is the EQ mount, unless the person wanting one can afford to stump up for an EQ5, they will have a rather wobbly set up, where as a 200 dob will make a superb sturdy visual set up and very easy to use, will give great planet and luna views plus its better on deep sky work. I prefer fracs but have a very stable mount

I have the 200P Dob and agree it is a brilliant all round scope for the money, but for looking at the planets I prefer the Evostar 120 , which is on an EQ5 mount with motor drive. I think it's views are a bit more "punchy" and it's a lot easier to carry out extended observations of a target with the tracking facility, especially at the higher magnifications I tend to use for the planets. I was lucky enough to get the 120 when they were priced at not much than the Dob .

Well, the 200P is highly regarded on the forums and for good reasons. Regarding tracking, I've found it gets easier with practice to take quite high magnifications eg enough to split the double double in Lyra and of course it isn't that often such high powers are needed. By the way, even at high powers the Dob mount is rock steady - the wooden construction damps out the vibrations.

I check the collimation of my Newtonians every time I set up, but they very rarely need much more than a slight tweak of the primary. It is really no big deal and should be thought of in the same ways as checking the tuning before playing the guitar. It is just something you do without really thinking about it.

What if you don't play the guitar?

What if you don't play the guitar?

Then I weep for you  :crybaby2:

Everyone should play an instrument, just like everyone should get the chance to look through a telescope :) A treat for the higher senses :D

Archived