Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Remote focusing lead for Skywatcher Electronic Focuser

Nibor

Just a short post to pass on the parts required for making up a longer replacement cable for the S/W Electronic focuser......

I am in the process of putting together a low tech remote operation Video Astronomy system using my Orion (US) ED80 refractor which is basically a clone of the S/W ED80.

I had purchased the electronic auto focuser from Modern Astronomy:-

http://www.modernastronomy.com/accessories.html#accFocusers

(Scroll down to Auto Focuser @ £44.95)

It fitted to the scope easily and works a treat but the coiled lead was far too short to reach from the cold outside to the warmer inside!! The connectors at each end of the coiled lead and the cable needed sourcing and initial attempts proved fruitless as it seemed that the connectors were quite small and similar looking computer and BT connectors were too large.

Anyway a trip to my new local and very helpful Maplins provided the solution. The parts required are as follows:-

Connectors FCC68 (two of):-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/fcc68-modular-plugs-1433

Cable (sold by the metre):-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/flat-ipc-telephone-line-cord-cw1311-6222

By carefully observing the way the S/W coiled connectors were wired up I could carefully strip the cable outer and insert the 4 separate wire strands into the connectors, copying the coiled cable configuration. The difficult part was crimping the wire to the connectors as I couldn't find a crimper small enough. However careful use of some small long nosed pliers and a small flat bladed screwdriver worked.

A check with a multimeter to ensure the crimping had worked and the job was done.

I initially did find I had to get the degree of crimping pressure just right in order to get the connector to fit into the hand control and motor so it is helpful to have a couple of spare connectors in case you don't get it right first time.

I hope this helps those with similar requirements.

Hi Nibor,

I have this focuser also and like you had to get hold of a longer lead for more remote viewing. I got my cousin to wire something up for me but I think the connection is an RJ11?? I also had to make up a makeshift bracket to attach to the focuser but it works a treat and a great little gadget for the money :)

Cheers

Karl

post-28683-0-07012900-1381782647_thumb.j

• Thanks 1

Hi Nibor,

I have this focuser also and like you had to get hold of a longer lead for more remote viewing. I got my cousin to wire something up for me but I think the connection is an RJ11?? I also had to make up a makeshift bracket to attach to the focuser but it works a treat and a great little gadget for the money :)

Cheers

Karl

attachicon.gifdx1 115.JPG

Karl,

If it is an RJ11 then this would be the cheap and easy fix:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabling4Less-10m-ADSL-Cable-White/dp/B000FGGE1I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381831543&sr=8-1&keywords=rj+11+cable

• Thanks 1

Sorry Nibor, Brucen is right it is RJ10 not RJ11!

Back to Maplins then!!  RJ 10 is apparently not quite so common - although I have just found another supplier:-

http://www.cablegear.co.uk/rj10-modular-plug-4p4c-for-flat-cable.html

They are cheaper - the cabling is probably the easy bit  - and this should do the crimping:-

http://www.cablegear.co.uk/modular-crimping-tool.html

I used my extended lead for the first time last night whilst trialling my PD1 Astro Video camera - I must say I found the ability to focus my Orion (US) ED80 scope whilst sitting at my PC (Scope outside) a very useful system as I tried different optical arrangements - positioning of filters / c rings / tube extensions etc.

The PD 1 (Remote) version also came into its own as I tried different camera settings.

Well done Nibor, a top quick Tutorial on a handy simple project.

I use the exact same Focuser (mine is branded 'Orion Accufocus'), and I took mine to the local electronics store who also happens to be an Electronics manufacturer etc http://www.wiltronics.com.au/aboutus.php

and they fitted the RJ10's onto the ends of a 75' Telephone extension cable for me.

The whole lot, cable, plugs, and attaching the plugs cost me $12.

post-32182-0-46186600-1381929158_thumb.j

Hi guys, need some info, can someone help me out,

I need to know the length of the focuser with the skywatch focuser attached, don't want to start chopping away inside case if it won't fit,

post-24363-0-75359600-1382097814_thumb.j

I'll have to turn the scope upside down and cut a opening where the 2 accessories holes are so it will hopefully fit....cheers john

forgot to say its on a SW 80ED, and another thing , can the focuser be changed round so the micro knob is on the left of the scope because I think if I but the EL/ focuser on the left I think it will hit my Mini tower mount

Edited by johnno

Hi,

My electronic focuser in attached to my Orion (US) ED80 - which I believe is a clone of the SW 80ED.

The attached photo shows and overhead shot (Velcro for holding the hand controller!!)

post-11604-0-53801100-1382112042_thumb.j

The distance that you require (between the red lines) is approximately 7.5 inches - BUT - note I do not have the micro focuser.

Perhaps two points flow from this:-

1. Does it work with a micro focuser? - perhaps someone can help here.

2. I am sure that on the basic focuser you can have the motor on either side  - I presume that the micro focuser can be switched to the other side and if  (1.) above is OK then you should get the set up you would like.

The motor holding bracket simply attaches to the base of the focuser - I used the existing bolts but it came supplied with some.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Hi Nibor,

Cheers

Karl

attachicon.gifdx1 115.JPG

Is that the Revelation Superfocuser or the Crayford? it would be nice to see how you attached the bracket and which holes were used for the screws/bolts, if that's OK.

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

The focuser is just the straight forward Crayford that came with the scope as standard. - Single speed.

The photo shows the underside of the focuser and shows the 4 bolts holding the electronic focuser mount onto the scope - the motor just presses onto the focuser spindle and tightens with a grub screw. The thumb screws (RHS) allow a bit of vertical adjustment.  The mount is shaped to conform to the underside of the scope's focuser.

I did try and find the instructions but had no success - if they turn up soon I'll scan and post a copy.:-

post-11604-0-38526600-1382123747_thumb.j

Hope this helps

thanks for that Nibor, I'll have to strip down the focuser to see if I can turn it around, by the looks of yours it would hit my mount when its a zenith, the only other option is to make my own remote focuser

How are you setting up your ed80 john.for ds..c to t or c to 1.25 with focal reducer /ir filter and how's your focus on stars wae camera. ..struggling to get focus can see stars in finder just can't pickup wae cams in the flat lp murder...just want all sorted before I try field set up/ testing. ...Davy

That's how I have it setup, I use a 12mm EP in the flip mirror which is not quite parfocaled  to the cam so the stars are slightly out of focus and bloated when I flip over to camera, just makes it a bit more easier to find the stars and then I focus with camera,

If a I use a reduser I use one of these now,  Chris / macavity put me onto this

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Accessories-Imagers-Opticstar.asp?p=0_10_5_0_3_9

post-24363-0-22218200-1382136844_thumb.j

Edited by johnno

Is that the Revelation Superfocuser or the Crayford? it would be nice to see how you attached the bracket and which holes were used for the screws/bolts, if that's OK.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

Sorry been sick!  I believe it was the Crayford and I tapped and used the two access holes on the underside of the focuser.  I then bought a thin strip of alli cut to size and drilled for the screws.  As soon as I get chance I'll take some pictures to give you a better idea.

Best regards

Karl