NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Possible New Finderscope

Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience with these (http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p963_Illumination-for-finder-scopes-and-crosshair-eyepieces.html) finderscopes from Teleskop Service?

I'll be looking to perhaps change my finderscope early next year and was looking for one with an illuminated reticule.

These seem to fit the bill, but any input from anyone on here would be most welcome!

I currently use an Orion 9x50 RACI, which is actually quite good, but I find it's hard to see the crosshairs in the dark!

Doc

Space Beagle......... Many folk recommend the Telrad, projecting a `Bullseye` onto the Sky?  I sometimes  see that the cross hair is invisible, but  try to view with both eyes open! My right  is eye viewing through the finderscope, Left eye looking at the target in the sky. The left/right image you see, will  eventually align when you have centred the scope, lock down, then start viewing.

Space Beagle......... Many folk recommend the Telrad, projecting a `Bullseye` onto the Sky?  I sometimes  see that the cross hair is invisible, but  try to view with both eyes open! My right  is eye viewing through the finderscope, Left eye looking at the target in the sky. The left/right image you see, will  eventually align when you have centred the scope, lock down, then start viewing.

That's OK for a straight through finder but the OP is using a RACI (Right Angled Correct Image) which is completely different.

Yep I use a TS finder, its this one http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3033_TS-10x60-angled-finderscope---erect-image---optional-illuminatio.html and its very good.

To be honest I just dont use it that much as from a dark site (where I do 80% of my observing from) a Telrad and low power EP is all I need. The only time I do actually star hop using it is from home where I have moderate LP.

The illumiated reticle is very handy to have but I think I have only ever used it once because the bracket holds the finder so well you really dont need to align it every time you use it, just attach the finder to the scope and start observing!

Another big bonus is being able to use it with your own EP's a change mag so very handy for big targets like the Veil.

Would I buy it again? Yes.

Its not cheap but compliments my scope very well.

I have the exact same illuminator, they are of excellent construction and have a very good controllable degree of illumination. They come as standard, fitted to the Astro-Tech illuminated reticule centering 24mm 1.25" eye piece and their RACI 8x50 finder scope. I can tell you that it has an 8mm metric thread that will fit most other finder scopes. Unfortunately there does not seem to be any UK outlet for Astro-Tech goodies any more, so you will have to source this and your RACI from over seas :)

Thanks John, I have bought kit from TS before with no problems at all, so I think i'll probably get the finder from them.

Charic, no worries pal :smiley:, i've seen from your replies to others that you really do know your stuff, which will be very much appreciated by everyone here on this great forum!

Doc

Looking good, don't forget to let us know how it performs in the field.

I was hoping to have a go tonight at last... but as supplied there are no screws included to fit the finderscope mount to the tube.

Originally Skywatcher has two csk 4mm screws, but the kit I bought requires 4 flat head screws and preferably larger than original (ie 5mm instead of 4mm), otherwise the screw heads barely grips the mount.

So bit more wait until I get the right (stainless) screws and nuts.

Got the screws (5mm heads were too big so used 4mm with washers) and fitted the finderscope mount to the tube:

IMG_7557.jpg

In an attempt to make it "universal" Altair used four slots for the screws (to permit adjustment on various tubes) making the mount very weak when compared to original Skywatcher product with csk screw heads (see the thickness of base).

To make it "universal" Altair also made two ribs on the base (allowing for curvature of the tube) rather higher than necessary (at least for my tube) - end result was that before realising I have tightened the screws to the point where I have bent the base.

BTW photo above shows Altair base after I have trimmed two ribs at the bottom.

Took it off, straightened it up, trimmed the two ribs such that the centre of the mount was actually touching the tube, used less force when tightening the screws and here is the end result:

IMG_7568.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Had a chance to use it last night for the first time properly as a finderscope and...

Supplied illuminated eyepiece (23mm) needed to be fully wound in (using helical focuser on the finderscope) to get anywhere near correct focus.

I wanted to go past focused point and then wind back, but can't be done - it reaches the end of travel.

On the other hand when I tried my regular Vixen 25mm eyepiece everything worked fine and I could focus precisely.

It sounds like illuminating bit is taking too much space? - I don't know? Fired a question at Altair Astro and waiting for their comments.

In the meantime if anybody else who owns this finderscope would care to comment - I would be grateful.

Another comparison - I looked through Alatir Astro Finderscope (10x60 with supplied eyepiece) and compared it with my old USSR binos (10x50) and there is little doubt in my mind which view I prefer (and it's definitely cheaper :grin: )

Having said all this... in all other aspects this finderscope is delight to use.

Archived