Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Singlin's Observatory Build

Singlin

I have finally managed to start my Oby.

I have decided to build a shed on wheels that enables me to have the shed as a warm room.

The main reason for this is that the temperatures here get to 15 and 20 °C below zero in the winter.

I have finished the telescope pier and just copied designs I have come across on the internet.

The decking is made out of wood and I used 3 5m long larch tree trunks which were planed flat on the top and bottom. as a base.

These larch poles are rested on breeze blocks so as to not get damp and allow water to drain under the decking without touching the wood.

I then screwed 5cm thick heavy duty scaffolding planks as the top structure.

Below are a few pictures.

The shed is next weeks project.

post-19057-0-38026900-1381254071_thumb.j

post-19057-0-98972800-1381254083_thumb.j

post-19057-0-39327500-1381254093_thumb.j

post-19057-0-97124100-1381254105_thumb.j

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a system I've built a couple of times. It works well. I have an anti-lift docking system whereby, as the shed is rolled over the scope, a tongue on the chassis passes under a small loop on the ground so it can't tip or lift in the wind. A latch clicks shut as the shed reaches its home position so it can't roll back, either.

I'm recladding one of mine after ten years and have added a computer pod to give more space in warm room mode.

3-S.jpg

Olly

Good luck with the build and keep the pictures coming, it's great to see how things progress.

Good idea to follow teleskopjo's suggestion to reduce the distance between the pier and the top plate as much as possible - it will help to keep things rigid and reduce the opportunities for any undesirable twisting.

Oh yes, it's great to see photos of other builds :)  Not only is it very interesting but everyone has different ideas of how to do things and this can be very helpful :)

I managed to finish the shed last night. It was dark and it was snowing when I was finishing the covering on the roof.

This is what it looks like now after last nights snow. The other photo is taken from the pool window.post-19057-0-29406100-1381571387_thumb.j

post-19057-0-63421600-1381571416_thumb.j

At altitude their is much less humidity.

This morning it was -3 °c with 30% humidity. It does not feel cold.

In the sun at altitude -10 °c feels like +5 in the sun in the uk.

That's great for astronomy then particularly imaging :)

Fabulous work and a great design.

My battered 10 year old affair is going to be shown up now! The latch goes under a ground hoop like this, which is bolted down so as to stop the shed hitting the pier.

Latch%20hoop-M.jpg

The latch on the shed chassis is pushed up as it encounters the hoop, like this;

Latch%20open-M.jpg$

And then once the short angled tongue has passed under the hoop the latch clunks shut like this so the shed can't lift or roll back...

LATCH%20CLOSED-M.jpg

The red cord just goes up through a loop on the back wall, under the roof to the front, and then through another loop where it ends in a weighted handle. You just pull the handle down to open the latch and roll the shed back.

Olly

Our highest ski lift here is at 3890 meters. We (ski instructors and mountain guides) also have a joint owned refuge at 3400 meters.

I plan to take my gear up for a couple of days before the season kicks off in earnest.

My main drawback is to the east and West my horizon line is very high.

Our highest ski lift here is at 3890 meters. We (ski instructors and mountain guides) also have a joint owned refuge at 3400 meters.

I plan to take my gear up for a couple of days before the season kicks off in earnest.

My main drawback is to the east and West my horizon line is very high.

3400m LOL- 3000 feet is considered 'high' in the UK! My obsy at 1400 feet maybe one of the highest. Can't beat a bit of real altitude though to get above the murky atmosphere.

Archived