NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, this afternoon I will be helping Sophie study for her very last GCSE exam, and it is the higher paper Physics (P7) exam.

Hopefully, I will be also learn a lot myself as it is mostly about astronomy and telescopes! :)

Hey that's cheating [emoji6]

Mark

It's new AN magazine dayy, so it's time for a quiet read with a nice cup of tea now I've done a couple of hours studying - learned all kinds of stuff, from coordinates in astronomy, how convex and concave lenses work in a telescope, to calculating power, magnification and focal length, astronomical distances and brightness, to the lifecycle of stars, fusion, star spectra and positioning large telescopes. Phew, in worn out lol :)

It's new AN magazine dayy, so it's time for a quiet read with a nice cup of tea now I've done a couple of hours studying - learned all kinds of stuff, from coordinates in astronomy, how convex and concave lenses work in a telescope, to calculating power, magnification and focal length, astronomical distances and brightness, to the lifecycle of stars, fusion, star spectra and positioning large telescopes. Phew, in worn out lol :)

July talk me thinks [emoji57]

Mark

July talk me thinks [emoji57] Mark

Haha, fortunately the talk for that evening is already arranged lol.

Guess what, just reading the new AN magazine and our new best mate The Coathanger asterism has a little feature in "alluring asterisms". Think we started something...... ;)

Sounds like the next speaker lined up  :grin:

Don't you start! LOL ;)

Hope your working week is going ok, as I know you mentioned industrial action. We'll miss your presence at the meeting and curry this evening.

I'll miss it too Vicky

Remind Gain to keep his hands away from his coke/beer during the meal as I wouldn't want him looking like he'd had an accident again! 

The industrial action has been halted as talks have now resumed and things are moving forward. All good 

Damian

That's good news about work.

I've got Gain's PowerMates to return back to him and I'm a bit disappointed I haven't had chance to try them out this last couple of weeks.

I'll try to keep him in check, but I'm not promising anything lol ;)

Superb talk tonight thanks to Gain Lee. A fascinating insight into the life and times of Sir Patrick Moore. Really enjoyable. Sorry I couldn't make it for the meal though. Maybe next time. [emoji6]

Indeed an excellent evenings entertainment! Some great stuff from Gain, with a bit of typical Gain humour thrown in!

Curry went down well as well! Right down the front of Gains top. Haha! He is a messy... ;)

It was a great evening - Gain's talk gave a wonderful insight into another side of Patrick Moore that we had never seen before, with more than a dash of Gain's humour thrown in!

Top curry, and I obviously was too busy keeping the boys in line to keep Gain in order too lol. I missed the curry going down his shirt! Knew he wouldn't make it through the meal without incident ;)

Nice to meet you and your son Neil, and hopefully we'll see you again soon.

So I helped Sophie study for her higher Physics GCSE paper, and we learned all about convex and concave lenses, focal length, magnification, solar and sidereal days, refraction, light spectra, astronomical distances, life cycle of stars, etc, etc.....

What does the exam paper ask??

"Is it a good idea to send signals to extra-terrestrial civilisations? Discuss the advantages and disadvantages."

Really? How can that be marked right or wrong?

There were a couple of one mark questions on a couple of the other subjects, but a lot of marks were about contacting aliens!

Oh dear....... :(

Anyone who's interested, who may not already know, there are peregrine falcons with young chicks nesting at Wakefield cathedral. I know we have a few bird lovers in our group, so thought I'd let you know. I've only just read about them. They have a peregrine watch tomorrow 10am to 3pm, so I may pop down with my binos and have a look :)

Anyone who's interested, who may not already know, there are peregrine falcons with young chicks nesting at Wakefield cathedral. I know we have a few bird lovers in our group, so thought I'd let you know. I've only just read about them. They have a peregrine watch tomorrow 10am to 3pm, so I may pop down with my binos and have a look :)

Hi Vicky

Nice to meet you all it was a good night ,andrew couldn't stop talking about it hope both of us

Will be at the next meet,there are nesting peregrines at sheffield cathedral

Neil

Hi Vicky

Nice to meet you all it was a good night ,andrew couldn't stop talking about it hope both of us

Will be at the next meet,there are nesting peregrines at sheffield cathedral

Neil

It's was nice to meet both you and ur son Neil. Hope you can both come to are next meeting and many others after that [emoji106]

Archived