NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

Love Wakefield Hospice warehouse shop after the weekend. Just got myself a lovely Opticron 25 x 60 Mighty Midget spotting scope. Looks like new in the box and is complete with both lens covers and soft case. Mounts straight onto a tripod too. With a small exit pupil size of 2.4mm it might not be the best for astronomy, but it can be used for wildlife and bird watching etc. Anyway, I'm pleased my little bargain :)

post-39306-0-14503300-1433254247_thumb.j

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love Wakefield Hospice warehouse shop after the weekend. Just got myself a lovely Opticron 25 x 60 Mighty Midget spotting scope. Looks like new in the box and is complete with both lens covers and soft case. Mounts straight onto a tripod too. With a small exit pupil size of 2.4mm it might not be the best for astronomy, but it can be used for wildlife and bird watching etc. Anyway, I'm pleased my little bargain :)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I need u to bye me two tickets for the lottery this weekend [emoji3]. Well done Vicky good find. I'm sure it will come in for birdwatching [emoji106]

Mark

I need u to bye me two tickets for the lottery this weekend [emoji3]. Well done Vicky good find. I'm sure it will come in for birdwatching [emoji106] Mark

I've never done the lottery....... maybe I should, but I was brought up not to gamble ;)

For the next star party we'll have to do a viewing list. I'll get to work on it ;)

Found this asterisms viewing list for naked eye through to binoculars and telescopes.

Might be an idea to see which are viewable from Kielder in October for a fun viewing list that everyone has a chance to have a go at :)

https://www.astroleague.org/files/u3/AsterismList.xls

That's a great little list Vicky, will have to get some of those as soon as we get some decen dark skies! :)

Yes, it's quite a nice site, and one I discoved a while ago when I was looking for a list of Messier objects I could observe with my binoculars. Found this page which is great, and I have it on my home screen for ease of reference:

https://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/binomess/binomesa.html

The sky is clearing lovely this evening and it looks like it could be a good one later. Maybe I'll sneak an hour in the garden before bed if it stops clear later on. ISS is coming over at 10.55pm, so I might see if I can photograph it this evening :)

Finally dragged myself into the 21st century phone wise,  have ditched the very based call and text only hone, and got my self a nice new shiny windows based phone,

any suggestions on astronomy apps. cant find any in the windows store

The sky is clearing lovely this evening and it looks like it could be a good one later. Maybe I'll sneak an hour in the garden before bed if it stops clear later on. ISS is coming over at 10.55pm, so I might see if I can photograph it this evening :)

It has cleared to be a very nice sky. Saturn was well up last night and looked stunning

Bye the time it's dark the moon will be up and it was full last night so it's not going to get that dark either. Both East and west horizons will be light

Mark

Yes I'm afraid that's it now for 6 weeks unless planets and moon are the targets

Finally dragged myself into the 21st century phone wise, have ditched the very based call and text only hone, and got my self a nice new shiny windows based phone,

I don't know any astro apps for windows. If it's anything like a windows tablet then ur very limited. There is one in the apps store for the tablet called Star chart don't know what it's like. Hope that helps [emoji3]

Mark

Well, as much as I am usually the first to capitalise on a clear evening, the week at work after a week off is always a hard one (especially if you have to work extra hours to cover staff holidays).

So torn between waiting half an hour to see the ISS come over and have a bit of quiet "Vic" time in the back garden, and heading up to bed! Think the bed has won this evening, however if I'm still awake at 10.55pm I'll have a look out to see if I can see the ISS.

Have just had a quick look at Jupiter and Venus through the 80mm refractor, just to get a quick fix.

Night all ;)

I've managed those and Saturn too Vicky. Scorpius looks great this evening and furthering my knowledge of star names through the star charts.

Just waiting for the iss pass

Just in from a couple of hours in the garden with the 12.5" Meade... Cleaned the primary up before I began, as it was quite dusty and had a thin layer of grease!

Venus, Jupiter and Saturn looking great.

Managed a few star hops, looked for Ring neb earlier but sky was a little light but think I got it averted vision, but was hard to tell!

Had a look around Polaris for Lovejoy, but no joy unfortunately...

Watched the ISS cross over great pass, got it in the finder scope, which Damian you will be pleased to hear I have replaced with a SW 9x50, much better! Then got it in the main scope with 26mm EP.

AMAZING is all I can say, I managed to track it for about a minute or so, could make out some shape I'm thinking solar panels.

Finally I had a quick scan for our new friend the coat hanger. Managed to see the full asterism in the finder but when it came to the main scope I was struggling to fit just the hook in even with the 26mm EP. however I managed to get some very faint stars down less than Mag13 so all in all a very pleasant evening all in shorts and a tee-shirt! But you know me, won't put coat on until I have to ;)

Finally dragged myself into the 21st century phone wise,  have ditched the very based call and text only hone, and got my self a nice new shiny windows based phone,

ive only used a windows phone for business before, so never looked for any astronomy apps. you can do a search here of the app store, http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/storeor on your phone obviously. Windows mobile has the smallest collection of apps compared to android and IOS, so I hope you find some good ones

Great report Soupy - I bet the ISS looked amazing through that big scope!

Well done on getting it in your eyepiece and tracked in time.

I think I must have gone flat out as soon as my head hit the pillow as I didn't see anything lol.

I had a quick look at Saturn (naked eye) as I got into bed, but there were a few high clouds coming in, although it did make the moon look lovely.

Might try stopping up a bit later this evening as we have an ISS pass at 11.38pm at 57 degrees, which should be a good one!

Let's hope we have a clear evening :)

Just in from a couple of hours in the garden with the 12.5" Meade... Cleaned the primary up before I began, as it was quite dusty and had a thin layer of grease!

Venus, Jupiter and Saturn looking great.

Managed a few star hops, looked for Ring neb earlier but sky was a little light but think I got it averted vision, but was hard to tell!

Had a look around Polaris for Lovejoy, but no joy unfortunately...

Watched the ISS cross over great pass, got it in the finder scope, which Damian you will be pleased to hear I have replaced with a SW 9x50, much better! Then got it in the main scope with 26mm EP.

AMAZING is all I can say, I managed to track it for about a minute or so, could make out some shape I'm thinking solar panels.

Finally I had a quick scan for our new friend the coat hanger. Managed to see the full asterism in the finder but when it came to the main scope I was struggling to fit just the hook in even with the 26mm EP. however I managed to get some very faint stars down less than Mag13 so all in all a very pleasant evening all in shorts and a tee-shirt! But you know me, won't put coat on until I have to ;)

Sounds like you had a good evening Soupy.

You can't track the station like that with an EQ so these manual scopes do have their advantages

Glad to hear that nasty finder has gone

Archived