NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick moon from tonight, MS VX3000 webcam moded and no LED this time,  150pds,  about 30 seconds  registax 6, some wavelets (ok might have overcooked those, and some levels in CS2

295moon1_zpsye0igrpa.jpg

Just come in from a few hours out... Saw ISS twice, and a few other sights but then tried to get an image of one of my favourite clusters. brocchi's cluster AKA the coat hanger! Great little cluster and pic doesn't do it justice, but not too bad for 3 sec exposure on Canon 250mm lens.

post-22085-0-38312000-1432948634_thumb.j

One thing I have to say is even though the Moon was out the northern horizon never lost its brightness, there was always a thin band of light, even now at 2.30, so think that will be all the DSO stargazing any of us can do for the next 6 weeks or so! :(

On a dark night in Kielder it can be picked up naked eye as a small bright patch. Stumbled across it when I was in Northumberland a few years ago, using only bins. Took up the full FOV. :)

The weather forecast is still the same for tonight, lets hope its wrong but i think you will need a radio telescope tonight to do any astronomy. Sunday night is still clear later on around midnight.

The weather forecast is still the same for tonight, lets hope its wrong but i think you will need a radio telescope tonight to do any astronomy. Sunday night is still clear later on around midnight.

Shall I go back and borrow the Lovell telescope from Jodrell Bank for the evening? Don't think it'll fit in my boot though........ ;)

That's it Vicky, but for some reason they call it crocchi's cluster! :/

Found this on-line which explains the other names of Collinder 399 or Brocchi's Cluster:

"Before 964, it was first discovered by the Persian astronomer Al Sufi, and described in his Book of Fixed Stars in 964.

In the 17th century, it was independently rediscovered by Italian astronomer Hodierna.

In the 1920s, Brocchi, an amateur astronomer and chart maker for the American Association of Variable Star Observers (AAVSO), created a map of this object for use in calibrating photometers.

In 1931, Swedish astronomer Collinder listed it in his catalogue of open clusters."

You are training him well Damian lol.

Does the weather still look grim for Winscarr this evening?

Think it'll be a few beers instead if it hasn't changed from the forecast I got earlier :(

I don't think Soupy needs any lessons think it might be me as I've had so little time to look at the skies this year and the weather has been atrocious to boot

I don't think Soupy needs any lessons think it might be me as I've had so little time to look at the skies this year and the weather has been atrocious to boot

Aye, it's been a shocking year for stargazing - the cloud gods couldn't even let us have our last viewing session of the season :(

Look on the bright side Vicky it won't be as bright next time we're out

LOL ok, I'll look on the bright side that it won't be on the bright-side next time. To be honest though, we should be able to do some lunar and planetary viewing/imaging even with the lighter nights.

We've got Gain's talk to look forward to in the next couple of weeks too :)

Archived