NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one thing to note is that you could do with an IR filter.

yeah i know, you just took one out - but the standard IR filter in a webcam sucks. A proper IR cut filter for astro use will make it soooooo much easier to focus.

I didnt bother (initially) when i did mine and found it extremely hard to focus and the resulting image - even when focused well - still ended up slightly soft as the red/IR part of the spectrum isnt focused at the same point as the rest of the spectrum and its a nightmare trying to process it out (which i could never manage).

I then got a cheap SW IR cut filter and it made a huge difference. Only used it one then sold my 130newt and bought my dob.... no idea where it is now, but if i can find it you can have it.

Now look what u have done Vicky everyone's at it lol Mark

LOL I know, I was just thinking that as I was reading the other posts.

Hi Neil, and welcome to our forum :)

Thanks for the advice about the IR filter Nick - I'll have to see how I get on when I have chance to try out my webcam.

Vicky this reminded me of one I did a few years ago, check the date on it! almost identical to yours even down to the blue tape. ;)

That's uncanny! Especially how we have both used similar blue tape in almost exactly the same way! Great minds, and all that lol :)

I just use the tape to make it thick enough to put directly in the scope without a film canister... Kept the front on to keep dust off when not in use. :)

Yeah, I thought about that after I had wrapped all the tape around it. The issue I thought about afterwards was keeping the dust off the chip. I suppose I could unwrap it all and put the original lens back on, and then wrap the tape back round it again to use it straight into the scope without the film canister. It just unscrews to take the lens and focus ring off the front - literally takes 5 seconds. Can't believe I didn't think of that one before wrapping it up! LOL :)

If you attach the film canister permanently then just use that cap and keep it closed

The cap of the film canister only goes on the end it originally went on, and that end doesn't fit in the scope, so if I keep it as it is I'll have to keep swapping the film canister round. Think I'll sit quiet and unwrap the tape for webcam mod markII ;)

found this page Neil, i think thats the cam I have but probably will apply to yours too.  https://matthewdpeters.wordpress.com/2011/10/18/modifying-a-microsoft-lifecam-vx-1000-for-astrophotography/

Hi thanks

I found a video on YouTube for the vx3000

Just have to try and find a film canister haven't used film for many years

Thanks Vicky for the welcome being reading the WADAS posts for a while now

Will have to come to one of you meeting

Neil

Hi thanks. I found a video on YouTube for the vx3000. Just have to try and find a film canister haven't used film for many years. Thanks Vicky for the welcome being reading the WADAS posts for a while now. Will have to come to one of you meeting. Neil

We have a special meeting at 7.30pm tomorrow evening with guest speaker Jerry Stone giving his talk on Is Pluto a Planet? Come along and join us if you are able - further details are on the WADAS website. It is £3 for non-members.

I have a 35mm film canister if you do get round to modifying your webcam and find you need it. I have just unwrapped and re-wrapped mine (as per above discussion regarding the original lens acting as a dust cover). Looks much smarter now too! :)

post-39306-0-98504200-1431980088_thumb.j

I have a Microsoft vx 3000 and I am going to mod this

Why do I have to remove the LED

Neil

you get light bleed as Soupy said, also leds do generate a tiny amount of heat, not great deal, but enough to affect the chip.

On a VX300 you will find that if you remove the lens elements then replace the lens housing , you don't need a film canister or adapter,  it will fit directly into the draw tube of a 1'25'' focuser

also if you cant get hold of a film canister you can purchase an adapter that fits the thread on most webcams where the lens used to screw in, I know RVO sells them for about £12-£15 am sure other suppliers sell them as well,

another edit snip the wires that go to the microphone as well,  cam will work fine with out it,  if you leave it in, you will be recording sound as well as vid, and your files will be a lot bigger

all this reminds me I have not got around to removing the led from my vx300 yet (the one I didn't spot when we were at keilder)

Vicky just found it, I have completely discarded the front part and just now have the lens and IR filter as the dust cover, screwing it off when needed, apart from that they could be twins! ;)

post-22085-0-12360100-1431980926_thumb.j

Vicky just found it, I have completely discarded the front part and just now have the lens and IR filter as the dust cover, screwing it off when needed, apart from that they could be twins! ;)

Yes, I might end up doing that too, as I noticed that a couple of those little tension clip things had already snapped off when I put the front back on. The lens and IR filter part screws on nicely on it's own anyway. I'll see how it goes. Looks like the same webcam as yours. Do you remember how to switch the LED off? I daren't go into the workings too much in case I break it.

connect it to your computer Vicky so the light comes on, then remove the back as in the pic, the other side of the little switch is the very bright little LED, get something thin and hard like a small screwdriver or very thin scissors and take it out! Simples :)

post-22085-0-38187800-1431983877_thumb.j

Just had a little mini viewing fix whilst I had opportunity as the skies were clear. Had a good look at Venus and even tried out a couple of the coloured filters (yellow and green both worked well), and then decided to try to find Lovejoy. Got the binoculars out and had a good scout round where it should be, but I could not make it out. The sky is still quite bright to the north due to the light pollution from Wakefield. Watched a lovely bright satellite passing over, and had another quick look at Venus before coming in for the night.

Thanks for the photo showing the LED Soupy - I'll have a look at that tomorrow after work :)

Hi thanks

I found a video on YouTube for the vx3000

Just have to try and find a film canister haven't used film for many years

Thanks Vicky for the welcome being reading the WADAS posts for a while now

Will have to come to one of you meeting

Neil

Welcome Neil to the thread and there is a meeting as Soupy detailed above tonight

Damian

Archived