SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

many thanks to everyone that turned up, I am sooo happy there are so many people wanting to get involved!

Just a quick update, the minutes from the IGM are now online on google drive - click the link in my signature, then click on the "minutes folder" and you can preview it there.

Also, if you havent yet joined the society, the membership form is also in there to print off, although I will make sure that I have some spares with me at the next meeting. We'll get cracking with sorting out membership cards, WADAS website and all that stuff before the next meeting and hopefully all systems will be go! Anyone who cant attend the next meeting that joined last night, I will post out your membership card :-)

also, many thanks for you concern about my poorly mouth. I can categorically state having a wisdom tooth out feels like being punched by Mike Tyson the day afterwards and makes the side of your face look like a pumpkin! But its on the mend now.

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi guys sorry i missed the meet but with work and familly  just dont have the time for anything lately glad to hear the meeting went well and plenty of people turned up hope fully will be able to make the next meet 

Glad your mouth is on the mend Nick well done for last night, shame you missed out on the pint afterwards.

The names of the winning entry is Eva Shelmardine with John Broadhead coming in second. I have been working on the logo in Photoshop today to try to tidy it up so will get it out as soon as I can get it finished, but I am struggling with doing curved text so might take me a while to work it out unless someone knows how to do it and can let me know.

Really glad you came to the meeting Robin and welcome to the forum.

Haven't seen you in ages Dean, do try to come to the next meet or get along to do some observing when we are next out.

Right guys been to see lee today he apologises about not making it on Wednesday due to him being poorly.

As I spoke of at the meeting on weds I mentioned that green witch were holding there 15 birthday party on Nov 2nd over at birstall and he's mentioned today that a lot of society's around the Yorkshire area are attending, what he does is hold a big party type thing just down the road from the shop from 10-4 where all the society's have there own area and when people go to the shop he sends them down to speak with all the society's and all talk astronomy and things, also each society's arrange events etc with each other. He's asked if a few of us from our society want to go along and setup which I've replied yes as we can get new members and arrange events etc etc. I spoke with Paul about it and he's going to send some emails out to everyone with me details on it, also there will be free teas coffees food etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

A Kieran says would be great to get a few of us down to green witches party celebrations, no need for an email think you have said it all above Kieran, unless you send me a list of emails Nick then I can email everyone.

Unfortunately I will still be in USA so won't be able to make it, but would be great for some of us to get down and maybe catch a few new members and make some contact with other societies too.

I'll unfortunately not be able to make the Greenwich gathering so pass on my apologies.

Great set of resource material there crash and be sure to look it up.

Also welcome to all the new members and I hope we can get a viewing session arranged some time soon to point a few things out.

Stuck a load of additional material in the reference section of the Google drive - thanks for the links crash, nice one!

Looking forward to seeing a few of yoou later this week and hopefully getting some good news up re: next meeting + possible guest speaker...

yep - sounds good. if you cant make it till 9, how about we meet up at 8.30 rather than originally planned at 7.30? otherwise i'll be drunk by the time you get there :grin:

COMET ISON OBSERVING SESSION.

I am going to try and organise an observing session for the society - possibly make it a public session and get the junior members invited (soupy?) - for the incredible comet ison that will be streaking like a fireball across the sky Early in December

:evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :lipsrsealed:

according the various websites (http://waitingforison.wordpress.com/december-2013/) the best time to view will be sunrise. But thats early and I dont do early... But it should also be visible/viewable/spectacular fireball across the sky at sunset. So I was thinking we could organise a meet a little before sunset and set up on parker road site.

I'll discuss it this evening with the other committee members and post more details up here and on twitter/facebook asap. if its a do-able venture, I was thinking we could also advertise publicly to try and encourage more new members etc and maybe get some newspaper coverage in the local rags.

nick

I've just been informed by my friend that he's too busy at the moment to do the website for us so he's give me the information I need to do it so I'm in the process of it, now as we are looking at a site with storage just wanted to go over the price to see if everyone thinks that this is ok. The domain for the site I can get for free and this is available: Wakefieldastronomysociety.co.uk is this ok with everyone.

The storage I was looking at is of 30gb do you think this is enough? The cost for 30gb stands at £38.90 for the year, obviously if we're looking at more the price goes up. Let me know what you guys think so I can start the ball rolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Archived