Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which 12mm?

Naemeth

Cat is out of the bag. I've given up trying to stop myself from going to widefields. First is going to be the 24mm Pan, and I doubt I'll be able to hold back the flood after that.

So, which good quality 12mm should I go for, my options seem to be:

Pentax XF 12mm

Delos 12mm

Nagler T4 12mm

Ethos 13mm

Pentax XW 14mm / 10mm (at a push either way)

I'll be able to afford one of them, but not two. Ethos will have to be 2nd hand.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the delos 12mm and its a great eyepiece. Not used the nagler  or the 13mm ethos but I can tell you the xf isn't in  the same class as the xw or delos. the main problem with the xw is its obviously not the size you want. so if you want the best it leaves you with televue. I wouldn't totally discount the xw 10 it is by all accounts the jewel in the crown of a very good eyepiece series.

Right, let's spend your money.

I have the Ethos and the Nagler and have had the 14mm XW which I would not consider with the Delos or Ethos. Even the 12mm Nagler is out-televued by these two and it is by no means a poor eyepiece. If you are looking at 10mm then also consider the Delos, it's excellent and I had one for about a year, I will be getting another, it was a mistake to sell it.

If you want 12mm I would go without any doubt for the Delos, you will not better it, even though I have never even seen one, I know I'm right. They are so useable it's not true, I never tire of them.

However if you want that extreme wide space walk feeling that the Ethos gives the 13mm is about as good as they come and I would start looking for a secondhand one now, act fast they don't wait.

Alan

I have a 13mm Ethos and have often toyed with the idea of selling it and buying either a 12mm T4 or even a 12mm T2 (I like my 16mm T2 so much I almost did sell and buy the latter recently). However, I can never bring myself to sell it. it really is superb.

Right, let's spend your money.

I have the Ethos and the Nagler and have had the 14mm XW which I would not consider with the Delos or Ethos. Even the 12mm Nagler is out-televued by these two and it is by no means a poor eyepiece. If you are looking at 10mm then also consider the Delos, it's excellent and I had one for about a year, I will be getting another, it was a mistake to sell it.

If you want 12mm I would go without any doubt for the Delos, you will not better it, even though I have never even seen one, I know I'm right. They are so useable it's not true, I never tire of them.

However if you want that extreme wide space walk feeling that the Ethos gives the 13mm is about as good as they come and I would start looking for a secondhand one now, act fast they don't wait.

Alan

Excellent first line :D.

I really don't know if the spacewalk will suit me as I've not tried anything wider than 65 degrees so far.

Shane, I think I need to have a look through your 13mm Ethos and see if I like the wide view :).

Off to Manchester will in effect increase the price of the Ethos.  Joking aside that is a very good thing to do, I did once say to a friend here  "what the hell does anyone need with a 82 degree field of view", now look at me.

I can see myself getting a few more of the Delos range maybe omitting the 17.3mm but getting the rest.  

Alan.

Do try an Ethos before you buy one as they probably don't suit everybody. Personally I think they are the best on your shopping list though. If you are going to spend a fair chunk on an eyepiece you might as well get something that will not leave you thinking "What if ?"

It might leave you thinking again about a coma corrector though. 100 degree eyepieces show more off axis field than others of course.

Do try an Ethos before you buy one as they probably don't suit everybody. Personally I think they are the best on your shopping list though. If you are going to spend a fair chunk on an eyepiece you might as well get something that will not leave you thinking "What if ?"

It might leave you thinking again about a coma corrector though. 100 degree eyepieces show more off axis field than others of course.

I hope not... can't afford to add a paracorr as well.

The Pentax 12mm XF is the cheap option here, but I can bet you the views will be in the top drawer. The downside is "only" 60° FOV, but it  will be a very sharp and high-contrast FOV, with lots of eye relief. At half the price of the Delos (optically equals??), it's got to be worth considering.

The Delos would be a safe bet too though.

Shame there isn't an XW in between them... That would be my choice. I find them a touch more easy going than the Deloi.

Andrew

Perhaps a Delos then ?

Indeed, it does look that way. Perhaps I could add the Ethos at a later date, when I've got a paracorr. Mind you, that's the expensive way to do it - still fun though :).

The XF is tempting though - nice and light so suitable for my travel set up and my Heritage.

I don't know why the 13mm Nagler never made your list, it's one of my best EP's, and certainly much cheaper than the Ethos 13. I must admit I don't have an Ethos, can't quite bring myself to spend the money. With my Naglers I never feel I'm "missing" something.

I have the Pentax xf 12mm and 8.5.I am very happy with their performance.Hey,Alan,why would you omit the 17.3mm Delos?I am actually thinking of saving up for one.It would fill the gap in my collection between 12mm Pentax xf and 24mm Pan.And I am interested in an 82 degreer.

I don't know why the 13mm Nagler never made your list, it's one of my best EP's, and certainly much cheaper than the Ethos 13. I must admit I don't have an Ethos, can't quite bring myself to spend the money. With my Naglers I never feel I'm "missing" something.

Maybe it's the eye relief. The T6 Naglers have 12mm which some find a little "tight". All the eyepieces on the OP's list have 15mm or more. I agree that the T6 13mm is an excellent eyepiece though. The 13mm Ethos just adds that little bit more though  :smiley:

Maybe it's the eye relief. The T6 Naglers have 12mm which some find a little "tight". All the eyepieces on the OP's list have 15mm or more. I agree that the T6 13mm is an excellent eyepiece though. The 13mm Ethos just adds that little bit more though  :smiley:

You see, the eye relief could have been a reason, but I honestly forgot about the 13mm T6 :rolleyes:. Eye relief is not much of an issue, even in my 8mm Plossl or 3-6mm Nagler Zoom  :grin:.

One plus for the XF is I could afford that and a 10mm / 14mm Delox or Pentax XW. 

I think I've pretty much decided on the 12mm Delos, hopefully at ~70 degrees it shouldn't show any coma, something I can't guarantee with the Ethos. Thanks all for your help.

The 24mm Panoptic is going to take priority for now, but I will be ordering soon :).

I think I've pretty much decided on the 12mm Delos, hopefully at ~70 degrees it shouldn't show any coma, something I can't guarantee with the Ethos. Thanks all for your help.

The 24mm Panoptic is going to take priority for now, but I will be ordering soon :).

~72 degrees :grin:

The 24mm Panoptic is one of the finest 1.25 inch eyepieces on the market, even people that have off-loaded them often regret their actions later.

Now I have had 3 days of rain so you all must be having some of my normal weather? I any case I hope you get some for the new addition .

Alan

Archived