Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

sgl focuser, is the software/driver stable?

blinky

Guys, 

Got everything wired up and although the stepper turn, the software seems a little flaky..... For instance it seems to randomly hang and I also rarely see any commands in the serial comms window. When connecting using the Ascom driver to maximdl t seems to default to a speed of 250 but I want 150! And again it often hangs and I need to disconnect the arduino. Finally it always seems to want to connect rhoough ascom to com4 which does not exist! Even though I chose com6 in the setup, when it connects it says com4, I then disconnect, type in com6 and reconnect. Has anybody else experienced problems like this?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still can't get Yahoo to work - I get "Sorry, Bad Request" when I try to join the group.  I'm using Firefox in Windows 7 64bit.  I am already a member of Yahoo and use several groups - it's just that I can't join any new groups I'm not a member of :(  Maybe I should try IE :confused:

Yeah, I'm a member of that group, I posted a couple of questions on it earlier tonight as well!  I am never sure whether to post in the group or on SGL as it's probably more visible on SGL - I don't know how many people visit the yahoo group...

I still can't get Yahoo to work - I get "Sorry, Bad Request" when I try to join the group.  I'm using Firefox in Windows 7 64bit.  I am already a member of Yahoo and use several groups - it's just that I can't join any new groups I'm not a member of :(  Maybe I should try IE :confused:

I have the same problem with Firefox on my Android tablet, I need to use the stock browser

I have the same problem with Firefox on my Android tablet, I need to use the stock browser

Thank you :)  Seems Firefox doesn't like Yahoo!  Or vice versa :(

Ran IE and entered my Yahoo ID and password and now it's saying my account has been deactivated :(  I'm still getting emails from all my current groups though so I don't understand this.  It says to re-join and create a new account but then they want a mobile phone number - BUT I no longer have a mobile phone as mobile access is virtually non-existant in this area with all the hills.  This is ridiculous!  :(

Pity SGL uses Yahoo! Groups.  I've found Yahoo flaky in the past too though it did mostly work with Firefox.  I suppose copyright prevents posting the group contents elsewhere! :(  Seems daft to have Arduino focussing and not have ASCOM access.  I'm using a separate box with buttons to control my Arduino focussing!

I regularly have the same sort of problems, btw.  Yahoo claims that my account doesn't exist despite later letting me log in, and never stopping sending me emails.  They also won't deliver email to one of my email addresses from a specific list, despite using the same address quite happily for others.  Using a different address works just fine.  When they ran BT's email systems there were people I just couldn't send email to as well.  I received no error messages and their mail servers happily accepted the emails, but they never got delivered.

James

Will that work? Or do they ring you up to check that you exist?

I honestly can't recall what they wanted the number for now, GIna.  I know I've never had them use my mobile number because we have no reception at home.  You could also try giving them a land line number.  If all they do is send a text to it then that may well work.

Or just leave it half an hour.  You'll probably get a totally different result then :(

James

I hate the yahoo groups, could it not be moved to a subsection in the SGL DIY forum? Anyway..... :police:

Guys, 

Got everything wired up and although the stepper turn, the software seems a little flaky..... For instance it seems to randomly hang and I also rarely see any commands in the serial comms window. When connecting using the Ascom driver to maximdl t seems to default to a speed of 250 but I want 150! And again it often hangs and I need to disconnect the arduino. Finally it always seems to want to connect rhoough ascom to com4 which does not exist! Even though I chose com6 in the setup, when it connects it says com4, I then disconnect, type in com6 and reconnect. Has anybody else experienced problems like this?

I am a member of the sgl_observatory_automation yahoo group and access my many yahoo accounts through win7 & google chrome with no problems............yet!

I have just completed my focuser and it works fine through the stand alone programme (yes it is a bit quirky) and works fine using the ascom driver in MaximDL.

Not tried FocusMax yet though. My only problem is I wanted to direct drive my focuser but my stepper motor hasn't got the umph to lift my imaging train. Even though

it is a 5 volt motor driven at 12 volts. Just about to order pulleys and belt from HPC Gears to remedy the situation. Fascinating project and saves you a fair amount of cash buying 

an "off the shelf unit"

cheers

Steve

If you want to  build something simpler than the "official" SGL design (that the yahoo group is mainly about) you can try my "Iffley" design, using a unipolar stepper motor. The software is all in a folder called Iffley in the Files section of the yahoo group. In terms of hardware, the only thing you need is a circuit like this http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/index.php/Stepper_Motor_5V_4-Phase_5-Wire_%26_ULN2003_Driver_Board_for_Arduino

Stepper_schematic.jpg

I seem to have full access to Yahoo! from the Mac (why does everything seem to work so much better on non-windoze machines? :D

I'd forgotten that I'm already a member of SGL Observatory Automation group :D

EDIT... Not quite!  I can't edit my membership options :(

I think the circuit works, its more the software that was causing problems, the main one being that I kept on trying to connect to com4 rather that 6!

ASCOM gives you a standard way of setting COM port preferences and remembering them from one session to the next. The FTDI USB-Serial converter Windows drivers I use grab the same port number every time I plug the device in so I almost never have to worry about port numbers with my device and ASCOM driver.  Does SGL ASCOM driver not do the same thing?

ASCOM gives you a standard way of setting COM port preferences and remembering them from one session to the next. The FTDI USB-Serial converter Windows drivers I use grab the same port number every time I plug the device in so I almost never have to worry about port numbers with my device and ASCOM driver.  Does SGL ASCOM driver not do the same thing?

No, the Arduino/SGL Focuser always appears on Com6 and thats what I choose in the Ascom properties, when I hit connect the focuser GUI pops up and it tries to connect to Com4! I can then (usually) manually change it back to Com6 and it connects but the whole idea was for me to be able to have hands off/automated imaging

Archived