NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC 1396 - Elephant Trunk

Hytham

While I waited for Orion to rise I figured why not image what I always seemingly thought was an extraordinarily boring target. Little did I know.

Here is my humble attempt with a mere 4 hours of integration.

Small:

24d40b9a-a1ef-4b25-987a-5f76852afe32_thu

Large:

24d40b9a-a1ef-4b25-987a-5f76852afe32_thu

Comments and criticisms are welcome.

Thank you.

Strewth, THAT is a field of view!!! Incredible depth as well. The 'usual' object is seen here gradually emerging from its gassy surroundings. Very exciting indeed and beautifully done.

I have just done this in an FSQ106/Full Frame at native FL but your FOV is SO much bigger! Tremendous image.

Olly

Thanks everyone. I love widefield imaging as it gives me a whole new perspective on relative size of these objects and how they all connect to one another through our skies.

As an fyi, this was taken with the .73x reducer giving me a fov of 5.45 x 5.45 degreees at 4.79" per pixel. The large CCD combined with the Tak is a great combo for widefield imaging.

Archived