NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Show off your custom/detailed scope.

NIGHTBOY

Colour is certainly up to the individual. I like all white, some white, and no white, and any combination of the three :D

My homebuilt 10" iDob is white tube on back mount.

image_zpsf4fc18c0.jpg

Turns out Apple make scopes :p!

I quite like the white and black look, I'd certainly rather that (or any other colour for that matter) than pink.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well since you mentioned them!

here's my 6"f11 dob mounted on a home made equatorial platform. I have flocked the whole tube, added a little fan, some 'Shane's knobs' for the primary end (the secondary is too small for thumbscrews), a counterweight, made a tensioning clamp, some little 1kg weights on the feet for more stability (it's a tall and spindly affair with the centre of gravity too high for my liking), changed the focuser, made a solar filter, made a dew shield, added a telrad and right angle correct image finder. I have also mown the grass since the photo but that's just maintenance :grin:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

then there's my most recent acquisition, my 12" f4 dob. I bought this as an OTA only and made my own dob base for this. added a Telrad base, made a dew shield, an aperture mask (giving me 85mm f16, and a 110mm f12 dobfractors), and added a 4" telrad riser. I plan to eventually flock certain parts of the tube (possibly all of it) and add a fan. I am also part way through making a suitcase truss dob system. so it all (bar the trusses) fits into a box about 500mm cubed). It has some green........ This is now my most used scope.

post-5119-0-80776600-1364299650.jpg

finally, my pride and joy (albeit least used currently). It's a 16" f4 dob and I also made the base for this, the cell, flocked the whole tube, added telrad and RACI finder, fan, Shane's knobs all round, different focuser, aperture mask (giving 100mm f18, 130mm f14 and 170mm f11 dobfractors). This is a joy to use at dark sites and in the winter I use it more from home especially at weekends as it has more chance to reach equilibrium.

post-17776-133877642481.jpg

There is just something a little preposterous in a comedic way about those larger dobs, they remind me of the cannon used in a human cannonball act. :p

That being said, If I get the spare cash at some point, I will be looking at owning an 18 inch dob.

I do tend to agree with James. When it's dark and I'm at the eyepiece, the scope could be skybluepink for all I care  :grin: 

Aha, the Istar is mounted now... :)

Thats just a temporary arrangement for star testing. I'm looking for something even sturdier now  :smiley: 

I wonder if scopes are traditionally white because they should radiate heat rather than absorbing it?

James

I was wondering that James but I could not find any particular evidence of it one way or the other. It's worth investigating further though. 

It would be a factor for sure, but how much or significant I've no idea in amateur sized dobs.  I wonder, it would be more of a factor in solar day viewing with the tube expanding more if black and therefore more susceptible to temperature changes.   Interestingly I don't know if there is any substance in it, nor could I find anything on it, but radio telescope dishes are very large and usually white and I suspect it has something to do with that.

Archived