Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

GSO 150mm F4 Imaging Newt

Anybody used one of these babies for imaging:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4762_GSO-6--Imaging-Newtonian---6--f-4---2--Monorail-focuser.html

ts-imaging-newton-150-f4.jpg

Would give a nice wide FOV at 600mm F4 or even 435mm FL at F2.9 (with the right reducer / corrector)?

At 435mm on an APS-C chip it works out at over 3 x 2 degrees.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole myself.

I've tried the 200/800 'fast imaging Newt' and won't be wasting any more time on it.If you are really into making fast reflector systems work than you might enjoy it. This doesn't describe me so I wouldn't enjoy it!!!

Olly

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole myself.

I've tried the 200/800 'fast imaging Newt' and won't be wasting any more time on it.If you are really into making fast reflector systems work than you might enjoy it. This doesn't describe me so I wouldn't enjoy it!!!

Olly

That sounds like a challenge to me!

Scope ordered!!!

I like my 12" f4 and have always hankered after a 6" f4 for an ultra compact travel scope. visual though obviously

Oh yes, visual is another matter. I'm partial to my 20 inch F4.1 as well. Nothing wrong with fast Newts for visual. Quite the opposite, light grasp and field of view. A heady combination!

Olly

I'm not an imager, yet, but I will say that when I do start DS imaging I'd prefer to choose scopes that need as little tinkering as possible - I even managed to mess up flocking my Heritage - who knows what mess I'd make of anything else!

I'm not an imager, yet, but I will say that when I do start DS imaging I'd prefer to choose scopes that need as little tinkering as possible - I even managed to mess up flocking my Heritage - who knows what mess I'd make of anything else!

Not sure how much modding (if any) this little scope will need. The changes I'd anticipate are the usual stronger springs, flocking and maybe moving the main mirror up the tube a tad. The main plus is that the primary mirror is a lot lighter than the 8,10 & 12" versions therefore it's less likely shift around. The strength of the steel tube might be an issue but I have a spare 300mm Losmandy bar now. I've had no problems with the focusers on my other GSO/Revelation scopes (unlike my Skywatchers......) so hopefully nothing to change there. 

Looking forward to first light now......

Little off topic but jock how you finding the MPC III ?

Seems to give nicely rounded stars for imaging- but with the F4 scopes star shape is also as much a function of how well collimated you are and CCD distance/orthoganality.

I don't really have anything to compare the MPCC III to as the ASA Keller Coma corrector is altogether a different beasty. But on the whole it's good- but I'd like to try some others out some day.

Full APS-C frame with MPCC III, not sure if it's a collimation issue or if the corners are outside the 'corrected circle'?

DSIR7146_1024_zps03837ccf.jpg

Hi

Any news on your new scope, as I am interested in buying this scope also.

Scope arrived today it certainly looks sound enough. I don't the tube strengthening mod will be needed as it uses the same gauge of steel as the 8,10 & 12" scopes, so being smaller diameter the tube is stiffer. The main mirror is a lot lighter so I don't think this will slop around like in the larger scopes. The focuser is identical to the GSO 8" so no problems with that.  I just need a 'weather window' this weekend for first light.....

No need to worry any more. Takahashi are bringing out an imaging Newt for just a few pennies more.

http://www.iankingimaging.com/show_product.php?id=1485

My eyes only watered for a few minutes.

Dave.

Cheaper than an FSQ ?

F3.3- that's a bit slow? I plan to use mine at F2.9 (with an ASA Keller corrector/reducer) or at native F4 with the Baader MPCC III.

The Epsilon is very interesting though for the fact they use no corrective lens optics (unlike my setup) which in theory should be truly apochromatic at all wavelengths. This is quite important with full spectrum cameras- a distinct advantage 'all mirror' systems have. The 130 F3.3 Epsilon also has a nice wide FOV which sets it apart from most scopes too. Pity about the price.....

E130 vs Baby Q.

Baby Q hands down every day.

Once I had the correct adapter to get spacing right and not 2" extensions which did not sit quiet right (pushfit is useless) it was about as perfect as i could wish for.

Real shame things didnt plan out long term, but when they do and they will, ill betting the exact same scope without any hesitation what so ever.

E130 vs Baby Q.

Baby Q hands down every day.

Once I had the correct adapter to get spacing right and not 2" extensions which did not sit quiet right (pushfit is useless) it was about as perfect as i could wish for.

Real shame things didnt plan out long term, but when they do and they will, ill betting the exact same scope without any hesitation what so ever.

Both the Takahashi FSQ-85ED and Epsilon 130 are undoubtedly fine scopes. But at £3500 & £2300 respectively not on my shopping list just yet. I want to see what a £250 scope can achieve.

I like my 12" f4 and have always hankered after a 6" f4 for an ultra compact travel scope. visual though obviously

Perhaps it not quite up your street, but you know what ? the Heritage 130p at f/5 would not be a bad fit with 5.1 inches aperture and less coma, no 2 inch whoppers will fit in there though. You can't get them much more compact than that, and it is so easy to carry around, want to swap ? :0)

Perhaps it not quite up your street, but you know what ? the Heritage 130p at f/5 would not be a bad fit with 5.1 inches aperture and less coma, no 2 inch whoppers will fit in there though. You can't get them much more compact than that, and it is so easy to carry around, want to swap ? :0)

LOL, no thanks :smiley:

I do agree though that the 130mm Heritage is a great little all in one package.

I think the GSO 6" F4 is really primarily for imaging- the secondary mirror is enormous we are talking about 30% blockage here! It is necessarily large to get a 2" wide light cone to the camera. How much difference this obstruction makes to the light gathering power remains to be seen? I will try with eyepieces at some point and see how it compares to my Equinox 120.

Quite interesting that Telescope Service now sell a variety of custom FAST Newts.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p6121_TS-6--F6-UNC-Newtonian-Telescope---optimized-focus-position---Carbon-tube.html

Bit more expensive, but you specify the intended purpose and they supply one of several (drilling) variants on the carbon fibre tube. Or you can completely specify your own design... ;)

Did play around with a ray tracing program "Newt for Web":

http://stellafane.org/tm/newt-web/newt-web.html

Inputting measured dimensions for my GSO 8" / F4 showed that they have the design pretty much spot on (hurrah). The OTA might be just a tad (few mm) too narrow for full illumination - Minor vignetting at the widest fields. I do have vague notions of a redesign of mine - For a typical 1/2" video chip. No point in a huge secondary mirror (GSO make smaller ones!) but still the advantage of F4 for real time video astronomy... Or preferably with a reducer / coma corrector to F2.8? :p

All "pie in the sky" here (lol), but a budget "Borg Sorensen" (qv) might be a project for the real enthusiast. :)

The cost of these Newts is not much more than cost of the (decent) focusser + (presumed decent?) optics.

Archived