Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Shortening the 130p for DSLR focus

Russe

After moving the primary o my 130p up with longer collimation screws I achieved focus with a webcam, but not with a DSLR.

I'm considering shortening the tube.

How much should I take of?

Who could do it for me?

Should I take the top or the bottom of? Bottom is probably better?

Will I still achieve visual focus after?

Should I rather save for a 130pds?

Anyone done that before?

Assuming you don't want to keep the 130P I'd have thought selling it to fund the PDS would make more sense than paying someone else to do the work.  If you can do it yourself then that may be more reasonable, but it would probably be sensible to check that the secondary is big enough for the distance you intend to move the mirror.

I'd take the length off the bottom because it will be far easier to do that than have to move the focuser and secondary down the tube.

James

well that only leaves you with 2 choices

1) hack the tube up and move the primary closer to the secondary - then buy a bigger secondary

2) use a barlow in front of the dslr - which sort of defeats the point of a fast scope.

Whats the 'fastest' barlow you can buy? eg I've only ever seen x2 barlows and above - is it possible to make or buy a x1.25 barlow? that might get the dslr into focus without making the focal length too high for imaging.

Mhm... I'm gonna rather get a 130pds.

Considered an apo, but can't afford one yet and don't want to go for the cheapest one either...

I have the 150pds, a superb scope, but when i tried my micro four thirds dslr at prime focus, i had to get a low profile T thread adaptor to be able to get focus but it does work, and assuming your canon adaptor is a low one you should be ok, i was very tempted by the 130 pds but my newt is more for visual

Yes, I would recommend upgrading to the PDS version when you can afford it. Much easier and you will lose less in the end - a modified scope would not sell well.

Indeed - it's modded for webcam use, but a low profile focuser is too expensive for such a cheap scope.

I've taken the plunge whilst on the can... Lol... Where I do my most profound thinking.

FLO - we have a love-hate relationship...

Anyway - I'll sell the 130p which leaves me with a battered 113p, the 130pds, a 127 Mak.

I thought to myself, I'll only ever buy an apo if my processing skills get better - as well, the weather needs to get better.

Even if there are no clouds, transparency and seeing are usually still Rubbish.

Got a few subs of the Heart of the Heart in last night as it WAS clear.  But before long the moon came up and the mist came in and having just had a quick look at the overnight subs, I didn't get very many.  I'll process what I've got and see.  By 6am everything was dripping with dew :eek:  It's all now drying off.

Got a few subs of the Heart of the Heart in last night as it WAS clear. But before long the moon came up and the mist came in and having just had a quick look at the overnight subs, I didn't get very many. I'll process what I've got and see. By 6am everything was dripping with dew :eek: It's all now drying off.

Dripping indeed! Still was happy to try out my new gear on day 1. (But it clouded over by 10pm.)

Feels like a first on SGL - trying out gear on day 1 of purchase...

Dripping indeed! Still was happy to try out my new gear on day 1. (But it clouded over by 10pm.)

Feels like a first on SGL - trying out gear on day 1 of purchase...

Yes, I reckon that WAS a first :)  Great :)

Archived