Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M13 with a Dob!

jdg600

Thanks for the replies. I had my dob on a equatorial platform which allowed me to keep it in the field of view for extended periods of time but which doesn't track very accurately hence all the trailing. I used 30s exposures at 1600iso on my Canon EOS D1100. The image is a single jpeg. I did try to stack about four such images but Deep Sky Stacker wouldn't do it - I assume because it couldn't identify individual stars because of the trailing. I haven't tried processing the image in any way but am not sure it would add anything.

John

Hi Happy-Kat. Yes, I built the platform myself. Its a bit rough and ready but it definitely works. I have a few ideas for future improvements which may help improve the tracking.

As you say Quatermass, it really is fun just trying things out. I was really thrilled just to get any sort of image. I don't have a webcam set up for imaging at the moment, I may try it in the future but it seems a bit of a faff as my laptop wont run off the battery so it means running extension leads for power, still I may give it a go.

Hi Happy-Kat, I power the base with a little 12v motor-gearbox I bought on Ebay for about £10. Power comes from small 12v battery which I also use to run the cooling fan. I got the design from the Stellafane links page: http://stellafane.org/misc/links.html which used to have lots of good resources including a spreadsheet for calculating the various dimensions for the platform based on the dimensions of your telescope. Unfortunately I think a lot of these links now no longer work.

I think it may already be too late Coco. I'm already thinking about selling the dob in favour of a 200mm Newt on an EQ mount.

Archived