Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M33, first try

lensman57

Hi,

I did this a couple of nights ago as my first crack at this DSO. I had posted it in the start with imaging section but there were no darks subtracted and it was a little noisy and overcooked, just my bad processing I guess.

This morning I took 21 darks and here is the result. It is a stack of 23 subs of 450s each, Atik 428 EX osc, Idas LPV2, Baader UV/IR all with my old SW ED 80, Bias and Flat frames. HEQ5 pro with GPUSB and PHD guiding, ASI 120 MM and 50 mm guider scope. Processed in StarTools and PS.Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-72700000-1378839674_thumb.p

belter image that! maybe try a layer mask so you can work the background and not the galaxy at the same time this way you will no introduce so much nose into the galaxy and you can work on reducing the noise and the galaxy will stay untouched. great effort !

That is a fantastic image by any standards! But being your first makes it even better. Another Steppenwolf/Olly in the making with you I think... :)

Well done.

Hi,

Many thanks to you and Daniel for your kind words and advice. This is actually my first proper Galaxy as such, I am quite pleased with it and will do my best to process it better. I have learnt a lot from the good people of the forum in the last 7 months since I started with this hobby, right now I am grinding my teeth because of the rubbish Crayford focuser on my SW 100ED, I had to abondon the session to do an NB on M27 because it could not hold focus with an Atik 16IC and a manual filter wheel. Sometimes the magic just doesn't work.

Regards and clear skies to you all.

A.G

Hi,

Many thanks to you and Daniel for your kind words and advice. This is actually my first proper Galaxy as such, I am quite pleased with it and will do my best to process it better. I have learnt a lot from the good people of the forum in the last 7 months since I started with this hobby, right now I am grinding my teeth because of the rubbish Crayford focuser on my SW 100ED, I had to abondon the session to do an NB on M27 because it could not hold focus with an Atik 16IC and a manual filter wheel. Sometimes the magic just doesn't work.

A.G

The SW focusers can be made to work well, if somewhat stiff, by adjustment of the screws - I have done this and it easily holds my Atik 460/EFW2 assembly fine when vertical. That said, I would upgrade it on my ED80 were I keeping it....

Hi,

A.G

That's a great shot of m33 very nice colour to it.As Steve said there are ways to modify the skywatcher focuser I did mine, however after a few months it started to slip again,luck of the draw,so I upgraded to the Baader steeltrack and would definitely recommend them

Many Thanks to you all for your kind comments, advice and encouragements. I will now have to seriously up my game quite a bit or this image will be considered a fluke. I think that I have sorted the Crayford focuser out , almost all the retaining screws needed tightening was was almost loose.

Many thanks and regards to all,

A.G

Archived