NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lacerta 72 APO

F137CHA

It appears to all intents and purposes to be a William Optics Megrez 72D - assuming that to be the case, it is a lovely little telescope but its colour correction is not the best in class. The SkyWatcher 80 ED does not have the same build quality but does have better colour correction. Don't get me wrong, the Megrez 72D does take good images but you must expect some coloured halos to bright stars.

Are there any really good APO's out there for the £400 - £500

As already said here, the SWED80. I've been looking too. Having compared my WO's with it, Ive come to the conclusion you'd need to move into the 4 figure price bracket for noticeable improvement in correction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

EDIT: Thread here

Does any one have any expirience using one of these scopes for DSO AP?

heres a link to one.

http://www.365astron...ase-p-3428.html

Hi,

Reading between the lines it appears to be a either a copy or a reincarnation of the now discountinued  William Optics Megrez 72. The problem with the ED80 is that even with a reducer we are talking about an FL of about 500mm and F6.3, this is still too long for some of the more recent CCDs. A focal length of about 360mm with a reducer and fast F ratio is quite attractive provided the optical quality is there.

A.G

That's what put me off the sw ed 80, even though its suppose to have the best colour correction. Yes I agree It does appear to be a newer version of megrez 72 as does the zenithstar 71 so any of them will delivery a similar performance really

That's what put me off the sw ed 80, even though its suppose to have the best colour correction. Yes I agree It does appear to be a newer version of megrez 72 as does the zenithstar 71 so any of them will delivery a similar performance really

Hi,

An alternative or two are the 60mm triplet from Altair astro and the TS 65 Quadruplet, both are more expensive than the WO ZS71 but not much more than the 72 MM that you were asking about, the TS65 is f6.5 and has the flatner built in the rear lens group which is a blessing in imaging as there are no unattainable back focus distance to worry about . The Altair one can be used with either a plain SkyWatcher flatner @ £66.00 or a Televue 0.8 FF/FR @ £220.00 but being a Televue the quality should be there. The problem is that by the time you add all these up it gets expensive, double the sum and you are easily in the Borg or even TAK territory.

A.G

Archived