Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astro Weather Forecast

JennyH

I have found the 'Scope Nights' app to be good for planning my observing - and for motivating me when I can see there's just one clear night ahead in an otherwise cloudy/rainy desert!

Any other good astro weather apps out there?

And other useful astro apps in general? I use Stellarium on my pc and laptop, but have found Star Walk good on my mini ipad for double checking when I'm outside. Am finding that my mini ipad is an excellent aid, much better than my iphone (bigger but not too big).

What other nifty bits of value for money kit can people recommend for the visual observer?

Jenny

I find weather forecasts and satellite images useful for helping me make my mind up whether or not to set up the scope, but not as reliable as looking out of the window regularly. I've had many nights when clear skies were predicted and they've turned out rubbish, and also ones predicted as rubbish that have turned out wonderful. In the end you've just got to get out there and hope for the best.

Best value for money investments (i.e. things I'm still using years after buying them): planisphere, adjustable wooden stool, TeleVue 32mm plossl, Lumicon UHC filter, ski coat and salopettes for cold nights.

Several years ago I made a dewshield for my finder using a piece of cardboard cut from a cereal box and an elastic band (total cost approximately zero). I'm still using it, though I've replaced the elastic band with a velcro tab.

I hear this is 100% accurate.

http://timcorrigan.com/weather-forecast/

We have an even simpler method of determining short term climactic behaviour in my local area. It's a little mnemonic that runs as follows:

"Yeah, you're in Wales. It's raining."

And you know what, it's remarkably accurate.

Typed inexpertly from my phone

Another vote here for Astro Panel on Android, seems to be quite accurate based on my experience.  Despite the horrible weather here in Margate yesterday afternoon, the clear sky that was predicted for the evening duly arrived at about 7 or 8 pm.  Finally managed to get outside for some observing for the first time after retrieving the scope from the loft over a week ago!

Ian

I use the Stellarium Android app quite a bit, especially when I'm out observing. I'm very much an amateur, so I love being able to point my phone at the sky and find out interesting info about what I'm looking at, or even just getting my bearings or having a look at what constellation that is. Very handy! It has night vision view as well. Also love the fast forward ability so I can see when stuff is going to rise or set.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

The data that Astro Panel uses, does it have an API that you can tie into ?

I believe so, looks like the details are here...

http://www.7timer.com/v4/index.php?product=astro&lon=1.387&lat=51.39〈=en&ac=0&unit=metric&tzshift=0&site=

The API link it gives on that page is for the location I've entered, so I guess you'd need to change the API URL according to the desired location.

Ian

Archived