NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Laptop displays as panels for flats

JamesF

I appear to have a few old laptops lying about that are pretty much useless these days. Is it worth the harassment of trying to turn one or more of them into a panel for flats, or should I just stick them in the pile to go to be recycled?

James

I've gone a little further and removed the panel and psu from an old laptop. Pretty sure it will work reasonably, but I think the older cold cathode types can produce an uneven colour temperature, as can the LEDs - the electro luminiscent panels look favourite and cost around £ 50-60 pounds for an A4 size panel, though again its getting one that produces an even colour temp and might be worth spending a few quid more rather than skimping. Pretty sure the laptop display will do for my needs for the time being, but might be up for replacement when I can afford to go CCD!

A clean white T shirt works well and costs only a couple of quid. I use a tissue held on by an elastic band on my lenses for flats - seems to work fine. I just point scope or lenses away from the sun but towards the sky. Set exposure for around 25,000 to 30,000 ADU.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived