NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Plywood Dome and DIY Pier

MikeG247

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Gina, the door is split in 2 with only the top half hinged so its not that bad but it does catch the wind a bit on a gusty day. It has gas stuts holding it open so its pretty solid. If the wind was that bad to blow it around I probably wouldn't be imaging anyhow

• 2 years later...

Hi Mile, I've just joined this forum, and your observatory looks great, I would love to make one the same and just trying to work out how you formed the 4mm plywood to make the dome without it splitting, any help would be appreciated

Trevor

Hi Mile, I've just joined this forum, and your observatory looks great, I would love to make one the same and just trying to work out how you formed the 4mm plywood to make the dome without it splitting, any help would be appreciated

Trevor

You might not get a reply from Mike to your question, he has not visited the forum for two years. It might be better to start a new thread asking the same question.  4mm ply should be easy to bend  if you soak it with hot water to make it flexible.

4mm ply is very easy to bend if you wet the outside of the curve or better still (if you have several panels to make) knock up a steamer - just a vessel big enough to take the panel with an in and an out pipe connected to some sort of steam generator - kettle - pressure cooker etc etc - you can almost tie it in knots when it comes out after an hour in there !!  WEAR GLOVES !!!

Its how wooden boat builders do it.

• 1 year later...

Another new kid on the block here Mike, I love your dome and have downloaded the drawings you kindly made available.

So far I cant spell Star but I'm willing to give it a go.

I'm seriously considering making the dome as you did, If I do will you mind if I ask a few questions on the way.

I have a starter setup consisting of an 8" Celestron with Starsense Autoalign on top of CG-5 Equ mount. And an Neximage5 camera and a few other bits Wi-Fi hookup up etc.

George

Archived