NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Vixen VSD100 f3.8 5-element Apochromat

Borg made a 125mm F2.8(native) a few years ago, so this is not the fastest 'apo' astrograph in history, but it is probably the fastest in production.

I knew there'd be one!! Well spotted. How 'apo' it would have been, though, is anybody's guess. 125 mm is big for F5. For F2.8 it is... remarkable.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

• 3 weeks later...

We don't have an official ETA but are predicting October. I will be surprised if it is any later than that because the busy season begins October when the nights become long and dark.

It is looking like the Vixen VSD100 will arrive this October. Tim Jardine has kindly agreed to review one for us. Tim recently won top prize in the 2013 Atik Imaging contest so owns an Atik 11000 camera with a huge 35mm sensor! Perfect for testing the VSD100 :smiley:

The retail price has not been set but we'll post that and more as soon as we are able.

Steve

• Like 1

hmm would love to see small pixels on it too.. to see if the optics are are really nailing it.

Not sure about this, Nick. Tim's big pixels will pick up any bloat very quickly. I suspect the 11000 will be a very good test camera and Tim's a great imager. My own experience is that the 11000 is less tolerant of the optics than the 4000 with smaller pixels. I don't think the real problem with optics is resolving the finest detail, it seems to be more to do with controlling the colours and delivering a flat field.

I'm looking forward to seeing the scope in action. I always admired the original.

Olly

Will any of the mainstream power focusers support this type of unit?

We will have to wait and see.

Either way, Pentax (the Vixen will almost certainly be from that stable) make superb helical focusers, better even than Borg. Most will find that is all the focuser they need. Even so I reckon we can rely on Ron at Moonlite and Wayne at Starlight Instruments to offer alternatives for those who favour traditional options.

Just ran the specs through CCD calc, it will be working at the following resolutions:

Atik 11000

Scale: 4.88 arcsec/pixel

FOV: 217.3 x 325.9 arcmin - (Just in time for the rise of Orion too :D - watch this space for a B33/M42 composition!)

Atik 460

Scale: 2.46 arcsec/pixel

FOV: 90.2 x 112.8 arcmin

400D

Scale: 3.09 arcsec/pixel

FOV: 133.5 x 200.2

Curious how much these will retail for and in the 100 - 150mm F3-F5 range which scope would be king ?

The only other scope in this segment is the Tak FSQ106 which retails at £5k. I reckon this Vixen will be in the same region.

• 2 months later...

The only other scope in this segment is the Tak FSQ106 which retails at £5k. I reckon this Vixen will be in the same region.

You were right :smiley:

We now know the UK price for the Vixen VSD100 will be £5,699 RRP. The street price will probably be lower, but not by much. 

The VSD is not a budget alternative to Takahashi, it is a full-on Japanese-made competitor. 

Prices for the accessories including the focal reducer have not yet been confirmed. 

The scope is supplied in an aluminium carry case. 
Production will not start until December and even then the quantity available will be limited. 
Production units for stock should be available from January. 
Tim has kindly agreed to review one. There will also be one on show at Astrofest next year. 
HTH, 
Steve 
vixen_SD100mm_f38_astronomy_telescope_la
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

We have some system diagrams and a schematic of the new Vixen VSD100 telescope :smiley:

Unfortunately they are in Japanese but are interesting nonetheless. 

A few things have become clear: 

• Camera payload will be up to 3kg (Vixen are normally conservative when quoting payloads) 
  • Hoya/Pentax have transferred certain patents to enable Vixen to produce this scope
  • Focal reducer and extender will be sold separately but no pricing confirmed
  • Tubes rings will also be available separately
  • The visual back will accept 58mm camera filters
  • Resolution is 1.16 arc seconds

Vixen_VSD_100_F38_chart4.pdf

Vixen_VSD_100_F38_chart3.pdf

Vixen_VSD_100_F38_chart2.pdf

Vixen_VSD_100_F38_chart1.pdf

• Like 2

Anyone thought on how to motorise the focuser on it? Without that, it's a dead duck for me.

My obsy should be here before Christmas (fingers crossed) so I may be in the market for a top notch triplet. At the moment, Takahashi is still at the top of my list,

Edited by dmahon

Anyone thought on how to motorise the focuser on it? 

We will have to wait and see.

Either way, Pentax (the Vixen will almost certainly be from that stable) make superb helical focusers, better even than Borg. Most will find it is all the focuser they will need. Even so I reckon we can rely on Ron at Moonlite and Wayne at Starlight Instruments to offer motorised alternatives for those who favour traditional options. 

Takahashi is still at the top of my list,

The Tak FSQ106 is the natural competitor to the the new Japanese-made Vixen VSD100. It will be an interesting comparison because the Tak is a 4-element modified Petzval whereas the VSD100 has an additional fifth element. Tak owners are very loyal so we can expect a spirited response to this new contender :smiley:

• Like 1