NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLRs

Is there a guide anywhere for a first time buyer. I have a limited amount of cash to spend and would like to know what is the minimum I would need to start. I'm not a big fan of second hand or Ebay but I'm open to persuation. Thanks in advance. Skywatcher 150p

Most people tend to use Canon dslrs for astro (other brands are available!). If you don't want to chance ebay www.mpbphotographic.co.uk are pretty good for s/h gear. I got a Canon 1100d body only from them a couple of months ago for £190 which I'm happy with. For a good intro, try Michael Covington's Digital SLR Astrophotography http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/DSLR/

I got a Canon EOS 300D body and then a 1000D body for about £120 on ebay. The 1000D is definitely better due to the live view and better remote control facilities. Also the 1000D is lighter so less weight on the scope.

Usual rules apply. Determine an appropriate price from past/current sales. Don't over bid and select sellers that photograph the actual camera rather than one taken from a commercial website.

The other thing is if you aim for the older models you do tend to get people selling them that want to upgrade or are not using them rather than trying to hype a newer model at an amazing price.

I have noticed that place like Cash Converters etc quite often sell Canon DSLR cameras. They are not bargain basement prices but there is a limited guarantee.

I bought my first 1000d DSLR on ebay from a seller that was selling Canon Refurbished cameras. It was in good condition with less than 3000 shutter clicks on it.

That was two years ago and no problems with it. The live view is handy.

I bought my first 1000d DSLR on ebay from a seller that was selling Canon Refurbished cameras. It was in good condition with less than 3000 shutter clicks on it.

That was two years ago and no problems with it. The live view is handy.

Thats how I got mine too (1000D). 7000 recorded shutter clicks on mine for 110.

I already had a dslr and the limitations might help you make a decision. I have a Pentax k-x and while it takes great pictures I have found accessories and software support are not as good as Canon so I would agree that a Canon is probably your best bet. The other thing to consider is tethering. This is where you connect your camera to the PC and control it from there. The basic choice is whether you want to have a live view on your PC for focusing etc. If so, I believe canons from the 450D and up allow this although they will cost you more. Lower models like the 300D and 400D will work just fine but you won't have the live view. It's not essential as I make do with focusing by taking a shot, checking focus, adjusting focus, take another shot, repeat until happy.

If your budget is limited you can pick up a 300D for under £100 second hand. I believe there is one with all the accessories on the classifieds here for about a hundred. If you want it for just astro work, get a body only (no lens) which will be cheaper.

hope this helps

Many thanks to you all. It seems Canon is favourite with a slight leaning to the 1000d for it's live facility. I think this is the one I will be looking for and as it sounds like I might get one for under £200 then I might have a little left over for extras. Once again, many thanks. I'm sure I'll be back to ask you all - "Now I've got a camera, how do I....blah blah." Thanks to Stargazers Lounge for a great forum, which, of course, is only as good as its members.

If you go for the Canon I would recommend BackyardEOS software, I've found this to be excellent to help manage both initial focusing and then the actual imaging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you go for the Canon I would recommend BackyardEOS software, I've found this to be excellent to help manage both initial focusing and then the actual imaging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alternatively you could try APT which is free for the 'almost' fully functional trial version.

Many thanks to you all. It seems Canon is favourite with a slight leaning to the 1000d for it's live facility. I think this is the one I will be looking for and as it sounds like I might get one for under £200 then I might have a little left over for extras. Once again, many thanks. I'm sure I'll be back to ask you all - "Now I've got a camera, how do I....blah blah." Thanks to Stargazers Lounge for a great forum, which, of course, is only as good as its members.

I recently purchased a Canon 1100d in planning to do the filter mod, a better camera from the 1000d with higher iso and less noise.

This is the same place I got mine from for just less than £200, This was also a Canon Refurbished camera with 2000 shutter clicks on it.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5d40111830

Edit: Just remember that which ever one you decide to choose, the batteries and charger are also different between the 1000d and 1100d so make sure the camera comes with at least one CANON battery and a charger.

Is there a guide anywhere for a first time buyer. I have a limited amount of cash to spend and would like to know what is the minimum I would need to start. I'm not a big fan of second hand or Ebay but I'm open to persuation. Thanks in advance. Skywatcher 150p

Hi,

Lots of good advice here for you, the only point I make is that I noticed that you have a 150P, I would make sure that it can reach focus with a DSLR before forking out for the camera if I were you. I am sure that there is no problem with a webcam but a DSLR plane of focus, the sensor is set about 45mm ( on a Canon ) from the front of the camera and an ordinary focuser may not reach focus with it, the usual advice of using a barlow is like shooting oneself in the foot, yes it will reach focus with a barlow but why make a fast F5 scope a pedestrian F10 and increase the focal length at the same time, it just doesn't make sense for imaging. If that Canon 1100d on the ABS is still there I would get it , it would cost almost that much money to get a normal one converted but read the specs.

A.G

Certainly a very able camera. It wont let you down. To be honest (i'll be shot down by most imagers for saying this), but i would not be concerned or bothered about having the camera "moded" simply for astro-imaging as this will limit its use as a daytime terrestrial camera. As it is...............it will be great for both normal photos and for imaging at night.

Really nice camera.

Certainly a very able camera. It wont let you down. To be honest (i'll be shot down by most imagers for saying this), but i would not be concerned or bothered about having the camera "moded" simply for astro-imaging as this will limit its use as a daytime terrestrial camera. As it is...............it will be great for both normal photos and for imaging at night.

Really nice camera.

I won't shoot you down, there are a number of targets out there that do not particularly need a modified camera. Some targets, like M42, Rosette and the like come to life with a modified camera however if I only had one camera and used it for terrestrial photography as well then I certainly wouldn't modify it, I'd choose targets that didn't require it. Now if its sole purpose is astro work, modified is the way to go.

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks one and all. I took the plunge and bought a 1000d body + battery, charger and strap from Latvia (believe it or not) via Ebay for £115. It has just 1333 clicks on it and it is immaculate! I think I got a pretty good deal. Now, where's that manual ...? Cheers, Paul

Archived