Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar white light today - so many sunspots

Mark at Beaufort

I set up the Astro Tech APO frac this afternnon with the Lunt Herschel Wedge, Baader continuum filter and binoviewers using 25mm plossls. I have never seen the Sun so well defined in white light. I could view granulation across the whole surface plus bright areas towards the edges. The sunspots 1801, 1806, 1808, 1809, 1810 and 1811 were so crisp and sharp - the detail was incredible. I did observe another small sunspots group between 1806 and 1810 but I have no number - unless someone else knows the answer.

To help find the Sun i use a Televue sol searcher (seen on the top of the tube rings) which makes life very easy.

I attach a photo taken this afternoon. I usually remove the lens cover to observe :smiley:

post-1628-0-80125400-1375544820_thumb.jp

Emadmoussa there are many better light solar imagers than me. However, your scope needs a white light filter - you can purchase one or make it yourself from Baader film. Here is a link - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters.html

If you have a DSLR camera you can purchase a T mount and a nosepiece which is inserted into the rear of your frac. Make sure you remove the finder scope or cover it up.

I am sure there is a good thread on white light solar imaging which I will find and attach.

There are so many sunspots at the moment solar viewing has not been this good for some time.

Mark

i would say something like this http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/astrozap-baader-solar-filter.html although the dedicated imaging Baader AstroSolar Material is slightly different.

you have a PM incomming re the imaging film.

Many thanks Mark for helping convert us to binoviewers :) We saw the sun in ha and white light today using 25 mm plossls and the 3d effect and detail was one of those wow moments :) The sunspots at the mo are fantastic and today was our best view in white light :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Mark, a beautiful telescope you have there. I really like the bino-viewer, never seen it before and I always had in back of my mind about how I prefer to look though my bino rather than with one eye through telescope! I think I'm gonna look into getting one for the future as I think it's really cool. How much you paid for your bino-viewer and how do you like it? Is it much better view I suppose? It looks fab. :bino2:

Hello Iancovici. In the UK binoviewers cost approximately 180 UK Pounds and here is a good example - http://www.firstligh...inoviewers.html

The image through binoviewers is almost 3D and views of the Sun and the Moon are fantastic much more enjoyable than a single eyepiece. You can have problems gaining focus with a refractor which is why you need a barlow lens.

The telescope setup in the photo above shows the binoviewers inserted into a Baader barlow and then into the Lunt Herschel Wedge - the view is incredible.

The image through binoviewers is almost 3D and views of the Sun and the Moon are fantastic much more enjoyable than a single eyepiece. You can have problems gaining focus with a refractor which is why you need a barlow lens.

I knew it! I can see with my bino seemingly 3D way and better than one eye telescope and was not my imagination now you confirm. I am deffo going to get this bino-viewer, not any soon though, but will save up and perhaps in within next 3-5 years when I'll probly upgrade my telescope as well, I'm thinking to get one Maksutov and then attach bino-viewer with barlow as you say. I know this won't happen any soon but will and can happen for sure near future and this is something for me to look forward to! Thank you very much for this thread and your feedback!

Iancovici good luck with your future purchase. However, you may find that if you buy a Maksutov you will not need to use a barlow to gain focus. I have a 180mm Maksutov and the views of the Moon and Saturn with the binoviewers is wonderful and I don't use a barlow.

Iancovici where in Eastern Europe do you live?

Iancovici good luck with your future purchase. However, you may find that if you buy a Maksutov you will not need to use a barlow to gain focus. I have a 180mm Maksutov and the views of the Moon and Saturn with the binoviewers is wonderful and I don't use a barlow.

Iancovici where in Eastern Europe do you live?

Ah, savvy that. I live in the light polluted city of Bucharest, but I occasionally get to go to Black Sea port city of Constantza where my GF's folks live and there I do familiy observatory for them! [well, in fact they just come to me themeselves out of curiousity when they see me looking in the sky with my telescope and bino]

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to buy a solar film filter today I quite miss looking at the sun   :smiley:

Is there any other type of filter you can attach to an eyepiece to use in addition with the full aperture filter ?

Shaun, I think this will be a good investment. As far as I know refractor are better suited for solar observing. I stand corrected though.

Shaun, I think this will be a good investment. As far as I know refractor are better suited for solar observing. I stand corrected though.

Did you mean to put a link in?

SCT's are not bad either ive used my old 6" for it :grin:

Archived