Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Complete Narrowband Image

Tommy B

The elephants trunk is certainly in season lately and I thought it a good target to do my first Hubble narrowband image. I have never created an image using separate filters before so I found this quite tricky and there are lots of errors and processing problems but I'm really surprised by my result. The OIII and SII seemed really weak even binned at 2x2 and I didn't expect to get much from them so they were stretched quite aggressively plus I had real problems with the stars as their sizes varied greatly between wavelengths. Despite a few days of frustrating processing I am now hooked on narrowband and hopefully can give another target a go tonight!

I had to align the subs manually in Photoshop as I don't have any software to do this as yet and didn't fancy shelling out $150 for registar. Does anyone know of good free programs for aligning images?

post-11197-0-88566600-1373712473_thumb.j

Equinox Ed 80 + Atik 314L+ mono + EFW 2 Filter wheel

Ha Lum 1x1 11 x 600s

SII 2x2 15 x 300s

OIII 2x2 15 x 300s

Ha - Used Ha luminance

Criticism is most welcome

I still feel I am just fudging my way through astrophotography :grin:

All data stacked in Deep sky stacker

Processing done with Photoshop 7.0

Thanks for looking :)

Tommy.B

Nice shot.

You can use DSS to align the different filter images. Just set the same reference frame for each stack. Obviously if you use a Ha image as the alignment frame, just make sure it is not ticked to be included when stacking the O and S. This way all 3 stacks will be aligned with each other.

Nice shot.

You can use DSS to align the different filter images. Just set the same reference frame for each stack. Obviously if you use a Ha image as the alignment frame, just make sure it is not ticked to be included when stacking the O and S. This way all 3 stacks will be aligned with each other.

Thanks Freddie, I really must brush up on DSS.

The elephants trunk is certainly in season lately and I thought it a good target to do my first Hubble narrowband image. I have never created an image using separate filters before so I found this quite tricky and there are lots of errors and processing problems but I'm really surprised by my result. The OIII and SII seemed really weak even binned at 2x2 and I didn't expect to get much from them so they were stretched quite aggressively plus I had real problems with the stars as their sizes varied greatly between wavelengths. Despite a few days of frustrating processing I am now hooked on narrowband and hopefully can give another target a go tonight!

I had to align the subs manually in Photoshop as I don't have any software to do this as yet and didn't fancy shelling out $150 for registar. Does anyone know of good free programs for aligning images?

post-11197-0-88566600-1373712473_thumb.j

Equinox Ed 80 + Atik 314L+ mono + EFW 2 Filter wheel

Ha Lum 1x1 11 x 600s

SII 2x2 15 x 300s

OIII 2x2 15 x 300s

Ha - Used Ha luminance

Criticism is most welcome

I still feel I am just fudging my way through astrophotography :grin:

All data stacked in Deep sky stacker

Processing done with Photoshop 7.0

Thanks for looking :)

Tommy.B

Hi,

I think that this is an amazing capture. I share your views about astronomical software, it maybe worth taking a look at noel carboni's astronomy tools, his actions are about $24.00 and there is a provision for combining RGB frames, it maybe of interest to you although I have only used this twice for planetary RGB.

Regards,

A.G

That is beautiful :) As for software - having spent many thousands of pounds on hardware I didn't think aroud a hundred on a useful piece of software was that bad. And an extremely good and useful one as it turned out :) Offset, any angle, any size including binning - it gets it right quickly and easily :) I would recommend RegiStar wholeheartedly :)

Nice shot.

Somehow I'm too daft to get it... Could you write it slower please??!! How again??

Archived