SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Last night.

Simms

Another frustrating night trying to get my scope guiding - took a hacksaw to my finderscope today to hopefully sort out the focusing issue - will give it a go tonight on one of the brighter stars. Still managed to grab a few shots - Heres a self portrait, a shot of the scenery as we drove out and another shot of the sun as it set where you can see some sunspots!

post-10509-0-17731000-1373201350_thumb.j

post-10509-0-08617700-1373201393_thumb.j

post-10509-0-45178400-1373201364_thumb.j

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simms...they are great.....and Gary....brilliant stuff.....

I have my adapter now to stick the Nikon onto the TAL...but I think I will not have the same results for a while! plus its all unguided....

I will need to sort that out as soon as I can...

cant wait to go to that site never seen a sky like it!

Well, think I have cracked the guiding tonight - but as you know this hobby changes from night to night - current running an hours worth on M13 (30 x 135sec subs) - lets see what happens. Seems the Newt is hyper sensitive to wind so hopefully the breeze will hold off for a while. Fingers crossed!

Well, here is a single RAW file, cropped and levels tweaked in Lightroom - so hopefullly stack 30 of these it might look OK. Everything worked perfectly tonight - s0ds law I guess.

post-10509-0-77038900-1373329461_thumb.j

I am gob smacked.....you guys really do some great work. I am stil just dreaming of images like this. I am struggling to define the order of the next purchase. The mount and tripod is the first thing I really need. cant wait to do some stuff like the above....

Simms / Gary: any advice you guys can offer in terms of basic camera setup would be greatly appreciated. never owned a DSLR before, so the manual configuration of the device is quite a challenge (even though I design virtual computer infrastructure for a living!)

Anyways, I tip my hat to you guys. :icon_salut:

Regards

Gary: Nikon D50....just got given it...its old, but still takes nice pics

Simms: looking at your picture again...you managed to capture the galaxy NGC 6207 in there as well....I suppose that was the idea though....great stuff

Depending on the mount and tracking with a decent polar align try setting the camera on M mode, 3200 iso and 30 seconds exp.

See what it comes out like.

spend as long as you can getting the focus accurate as no matter how many subs or how long the exposure... If its out of focus, it stays out if focus :D

is your mount motorised?

Not yet.....so those subs are going to trail quite a bit I imagine....well I will be goin gfor it tonight...and see what happens. will probabaly spend all the time messing with the camera, and not 'seeing' anything!

I will see what occurs though. guess it is trial and error at first.

should be able to get some nice Luna shots without tracking.

To get anything worth while your pretty much gonna need a minimum of 30sec exposure which will be very tricky without a motor.

Luna shots are a fraction of a second.

I use a Canon EOS 300D, which i think is much older then the Nikon D50

I would also recommend a cable release

Archived