Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hot and sweaty M16 update (Ha)

Uranium235

Wow, pretty warm last night wasnt it? A lot warmer than where I was a couple of days ago (Perran sands), but the dark skies in Cornwall were pretty impressive - very reminicent of Lucksall, if not better (once you got away from any light sources).

Anyway, back home and back to business with this glorious weather we are having, Im still one-eyed at the moment because one of my cameras is away for servicing - so its just an additional hour and 1/2 at the moment. I will add three or four more once I get the other camera back.

On inspection of the first finished stack, I noticed that it seemed to zoom quite well past 100% - so I thought I would give 2x drizzle a go. So I stacked it all again, drizzled it, then processed as normal in PS (3 layer masks). I then finished it off with a slight redcution in image scale (70%). It seems to have worked because the drizzle process hasnt messed up the stars and the structure is still defined, but the image scale is bigger (1936x1491).

Once I get to about 9 or 10 hours I will post another update. Getting more I/O errors on upload, so I will need to host elsewhere.

M16: Eagle nebula

Ha (5.25 hours)

Atik 314L+, NEQ6, 80ED

Setpoint: -10 (just about!)

Thanks for looking,

Rob

9227812821_19c3a65bb5_o.jpg

Thanks Scott - well, its hot and sweaty by the time youve carted an NEQ6 down the garden :)

I already know the true definition of hot, which is being stood in the middle of Kuala Lumpur in the hottest month of the year at midday, woefully overdressed.... blimey, I thought was going to melt!

Thanks Scott - well, its hot and sweaty by the time youve carted an NEQ6 down the garden :)

I already know the true definition of hot, which is being stood in the middle of Kuala Lumpur in the hottest month of the year at midday, woefully overdressed.... blimey, I thought was going to melt!

Yes, south/east asia is very balmy....it's not so much the heat there as the humidity, anyway, sorry for digressing, It's a cracking image and certainly a great argument in favour of the ccd... you could even stick the cooled ccd down your trousers to cool yourself :D

Yes, south/east asia is very balmy....it's not so much the heat there as the humidity

Quite right :D Ultra humid and no wind to blow it away, its almost suffocating - after a couple of weeks of that it makes you miss the (more comfortable, but cloudier) weather we get in the UK.

That's excellent Rob - superb detail and nice tight stars :) I must have a go at dithering sometime :D Did you use some sharpening n that image?

That's excellent Rob - superb detail and nice tight stars :) I must have a go at dithering sometime :D Did you use some sharpening n that image?

Thanks Gina!

Yep, I used two rounds of high pass filter (the second iteration only at a setting 2 pixels, 50% opacity), then one round of noels enhance local contrast on a separate layer - blend mode darken.

Gina, remember to use layer masks with this one, as you would with M42. Otherwise you wont get the outer fluff without blowing out the core.

Its a good idea to open a new view so you can preview the effect of the layer mask(s). This took three masks, with the curves done in two stages for each mask - the first to reduce the mask size to cover the desired area, the second is to stretch the layer mask so more of the shorter exposure layer is used - otherwise the core can become a little bland as too much of the longer stretched layer is showing through.

I guess this qualifies as HDR processing since you are increasing the dynamic range of the subject somewhat.

Gina, remember to use layer masks with this one, as you would with M42. Otherwise you wont get the outer fluff without blowing out the core.

Its a good idea to open a new view so you can preview the effect of the layer mask(s). This took three masks, with the curves done in two stages for each mask - the first to reduce the mask size to cover the desired area, the second is to stretch the layer mask so more of the shorter exposure layer is used - otherwise the core can become a little bland as too much of the longer stretched layer is showing through.

I guess this qualifies as HDR processing since you are increasing the dynamic range of the subject somewhat.

Thank you for your advice Rob - much appreciated :) I have a lot to learn yet :D

I keep coming back to look at this one, it's looking better every time I look at it.

:) You're not the only one!

Had some good news from Vince at Atik, the other camera is now ready and will be with me soon.... yay! Back up to double speed! I was out last night topping this one up with 15min subs, the plan is to replace all of the 5min subs I used (taken back in 2011) with an equal amount of 15min subs. 25 or 30 of those would be lovely :p

I should have something ready in a couple of days.

Archived