Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Check your badder film from time to time!

mdstuart

Just noticed my film had some very small holes and scratches.

not as big as a pin [removed word] but definitely a hole so..

i decided to play safe and ditch it..

only spotted it when looking up the refractor tube without an eyepiece in.

Maybe I was being over cautious?

mark

I always checked my glass filters each time I used them. I am over cautious with solar viewing so decided to buy a Lunt Herschel Wedge and so my Orion and Thousand Oaks Filters have now been put in a box and I doubt will be used again.

To be honest Mark if I was using Baader film and saw pin holes and scratches I would have binned the filter as well.

Mark

Geee,

Obviously the film should be checked regularly, but a small pin <..> would not pose a threat, just a possible loss of contrast.

My Baader film filters are stored in sealed boxes when not in use, they are almost ten years old and don't show any signs of deterioration. I think it comes down to good storage and handling techniques.

I found a tiny hole in mine some time back. No idea where it came from. Must just have been careless handling on my part at some point. As it's right in the middle and would generally not contribute to the image my Mak produces anyhow I put a small piece of black electrical insulating tape over the hole from the inside. It's been fine ever since. Obviously I do now also check that the tape isn't about to come off :)

James

Archived