Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Leap of faith

Nogbad

I have had the SW 150p for 4 months now and I confess I find the 10mm supplied eyepiece quite hard on the eye, very tiring. However, I have had fun and sighted Jupiter, Saturn and incredible vistas of the Moon.

I've read a fair few reviews on here and I have made a decision and taken a leap of faith and ordered BST starguiders (18m 12mm and 8mm) from a chap called Alan at Skies the Limit on eBay. I was tempted by the Baader Classics but the 10mm and 6mm also looked like the eye relief would tax me.

Not sure when I will get them as I rarely use eBay and Paypal and I had forgotten I had changed credit cards a couple of years ago and my Paypal is only linked to Bank so they are doing some Victorian echeque nonsense that looks slower than a Victorian cheque. Oh well! Tried to link my new card but that takes days too...apparently :-/

To add to my splurge I have ordered the Revelation 2.5 Barlow from FLO (got my scope from FLO) as I think this will give me the best range of magnification from the BSTs. I might hang onto the pieces that came with the scope for a bit but I am hoping the 4 new pieces will give most of what I am looking for.

If you are looking in FLO, your web site had me in Father Jack mode. Returning customer said "email not on our records", trying to start from scratch said "email already on our records". It bounced me around several times before it accepted I was a returning customer /\(oO)/\

Internet buying is supposed to easy...but I find mostly it is not.

the 18 and 12mm bsts are pure class, i have the 18mm and it compares near equal to my 18mm baader gen ortho, the 8mm will need nights of steady seeing to get best from it but it wont let you down, enjoy your new glass

Thanks - I will report once Paypal complete their arcane financial manoeuvres and they wing their way to me. I'm hopeful they will complement the 150 f5 nicely

That's a nice range of ep's you've chosen there. Not sure if you have much interest in dso's but if you do you might like to get your hands on something inthe low magnification range (25-32mm) at a guess. enjoy your new toys sir/madam :)

That's a nice range of ep's you've chosen there. Not sure if you have much interest in dso's but if you do you might like to get your hands on something inthe low magnification range (25-32mm) at a guess. enjoy your new toys sir/madam :)

The 150p is only 750mm focal length so the 18mm will be about 40x - thought that would be OK for dso....No?

The 18mm will be fine for many DSO's. The larger ones can need a wider view though so a 32mm is useful for those and as a general low power "finder" eyepiece.

You're just going to have a wonderful time with those eyepieces and that scope. That was where I started and I still love my 150p so much and intend to keep it forever. It's such a perfect scope in my opinion. On an AZ4 it is sublime and could not recommend this scope/mount set up highly enough. With BSTs it really works so well, I had a 5mm, 18mm and 25mm. I'd barlow the 18 and 25 for mid range magnifications and got a dedicated 5mm for high mag work. I always intended to get the complete set but right as I was about to do that the ES sale boomed and I replaced all my eyepieces in one fell swoop for what is now in my signature.

The BSTs are such a joy to use I keep having to talk myself out of just buying a set anyway! So comfortable to use. I'm hoping that when I get a few Delos (which are also very comfortable to use) I'll no longer feel the need to get some BSTs again. The ES eyepieces are lovely and show great views but the eye relief is quite tight. I think it's nice to have a range of AFOVs in your box too, having all of your EPs at 82 degrees does kill the magic of wide views, you just get used to them.

The 150p is only 750mm focal length so the 18mm will be about 40x - thought that would be OK for dso....No?

should be fine with most :) some targets might be a tight squeeze but hey.... you can't get everything all at once....it'll leave you nothing to look forward to :)

Just enjoy the ones you've got for now and you'll soon see whether or not you want/need something lower or not

I have the 8mm and 18mm, although I have yet to try the 18mm. Alan's service is excellent.

Been in contact with Alan who is going to keep my three eyepieces to one side until Paypal do their thing. I'm happy with that :)

PS the Revelation 2.5 barlow just arrived from FLO and what a nice bit of kit it looks. If I had more posts I would write up a glowing review for FLO (not that they are short of glowing reviews)

Excellent. I noticed in your eyepiece case picture that the 18mm looked quite a bit bigger than the others. The 15 and 12 are the same physical size from what I recall.

No, oddly it is the 12mm that is bigger than the 8mm and 18mm. Not sure what that is about but they all work beautifully.

Archived