Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

whats best for less, filters optics etc

leader of the starry skys

hiya , being new to astronomy with a dob150p ,ive already asked whats the next things on my list I should go for , I would like to buy expensive items ,but pockets not quite that deep, so I need lowerish range of goodies ,I was wondering if people could throw some good suggestions of what not to go near and whats good , say eyepieces between £6- £15 , filters £5- £12 collimators with laser £5- £20 . I know half the time its personnel tastes so lets get personnel ........thanks :grin:

To be honest I'd start off playing with what you've got whilst saving your pennies ... :smiley:

You are not going to find things in the price ranges stated that will enhance your viewing experience any , unfortunately toys don't come cheap.

A simple Cheshire collimator would be a good buy , but ignore the urge for a laser type , as for filters and eyepieces try getting involved with your nearest Astro-club and having a look through other peoples kit , I'm sure there's someone close by that can help.

There's not much worse than spending hard-earned on stuff you never use.

I have to agree with the above as well. I'm all for low priced decent quality but astronomical equipment needs to be of a certain quality to perform the challenging task we ask of it and you just can't get that for very low prices.

If you scour the used market (the UK Astro Buy & Sell website is excellent) you can pick up some great bargains and keep the expenditure in check. I have to say though that your target prices are probably unattainable even with used equipment.

if you have ever used binoculars, there's the really cheap and nasty ones which are terrible. then there's a threshold of about £80-150 where you can get really quite decent ones and at about £150-200 where you can get superb ones and the next threshold is the truly magnificent at maybe £1000. optically the differences between each get smaller at each step and the difference between a £200 pair and a £1000 pair is very small indeed.

the same is true for telescope gear. on the whole if you stick with known brands such as e.g. Skywatcher, William Optics, Baader to name three you will get good quality at decent prices, especially used. if you buy (again used) Televue or Pentax etc you'll get superb value for a bit more or a lot, lot more.

I can only recommend what I use which is Televue and Baader Genuine Orthos. If you are looking at a new eyepiece for maybe £15-20 then just save a bit longer and get a used Televue plossl for maybe £50 or a BGO for the same sort of money - check eye relief though if you wear glasses to observe. if you are on a tight budget a 2x barlow doubles your eyepiece collection.

buying at that sort of quality you can never go wrong and will not be throwing money away.

all that said, before the above I'd recommend:

star map e.g. http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/1931559317

red torch (make one)

observing seat (any sort of garden chair with your scope)

red dot finder (I prefer telrads)

right angle correct image finder (6x30 is good enough). e.g.http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/skywatcher-9x50-right-angled-erecting-finderscope.html or http://www.scsastro....inderscopes.htm

Hi and welcome to SGL, The message everyone is advocating is, if you are on a limited budget, it is best to wait till you can afford optics and equipment from the main reputable manufactures. There are of course bargains to had on various s/h sites, Circle T Orthoscopics often come on the market within the £20 range and although having a narrow field of view compared to modern optics, they are, never the less, an excellent Planetary eye piece. The Meade 4000 Plossl range, as has been mentioned, could fall near the top of you ep price range, but will be dependant on focal length, enjoy your Astronomy :)

Archived