Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My old Norton's

kerrylewis

I've been looking at my battered, musty old copy of Norton's Star Atlas. It's the 14th edition dated 1959. I must have bought it in the early sixties with my first telescope - a 'zoom' refractor of about 65 mm aperture I think. I've often looked at the charts which still seem very clear although the typefaces look a but quaint, but today I was looking at my pencil ticks against over 50 double stars. I don't remember doing this and it only seems to be doubles that I have marked. I must have been quite keen on them but I don't remember doing it. Perhaps the Messiers were too challenging for that scope. But 50+ doubles with no proper mount (just a wooden tripod) shows some industry by the teenage Lewis lad!

Interesting how old the the rest of the book looks with how ' to construct a simple equatorial or alt-azimuth stand' out of wood.

I keep thinking that I should get the current edition. It's quite cheap on Amazon but seems to get mixed reviews.

kerry

A copy of Norton's was an essential aid for the amateur astronomer before the computer revolution brought us such things as Stellarium ect. I have a copy in the book case and still use it now and again.

Agreed Laurie. So were Fullerscopes which I note from your signature! I helped found the astronomical society at school and we managed to get money from the governors to buy a Fullerscopes reflector kit. I don't remember the aperture and left before it could used properly but I did help to put it together and remember gingerly cleaning the mirror with distilled water.

Nortons along with Burnhams were my Friday night read at my local astro society when I was a youngster, I bought the epoch 2000 version a number

of years ago and seemed to have lost it. Still a great atlas. Im trying to recall other well known titles fom bacjk in the day ;-)

I still like looking at my copies of Practical Amateur Astronomy (edited by Patrick Moore) and The Amateur Astronomer (written by Patrick Moore) from the early 70s. Life was simpler then and the comparatively limited availability of telescopes meant that folks spent more time concentrating on observing rather than discussing the latest equipment - though I enjoy the latter also! Another fine book which everyone should read is Telescope Work for Starlight Evenings by W.F.Denning. It is quite amazing some of the observing insights contained in this pure gem - especially considering it was published in 1891. This book would cost you a small fortune now if you are lucky enough to find a first edition. Good news is that it is available brand new for around £20, published by Cornell University Library as one of their digital collection reprints. Happy reading!

I still like looking at my copies of Practical Amateur Astronomy (edited by Patrick Moore) and The Amateur Astronomer (written by Patrick Moore) from the early 70s. Life was simpler then and the comparatively limited availability of telescopes meant that folks spent more time concentrating on observing rather than discussing the latest equipment - though I enjoy the latter also! Another fine book which everyone should read is Telescope Work for Starlight Evenings by W.F.Denning. It is quite amazing some of the observing insights contained in this pure gem - especially considering it was published in 1891. This book would cost you a small fortune now if you are lucky enough to find a first edition. Good news is that it is available brand new for around £20, published by Cornell University Library as one of their digital collection reprints. Happy reading!

The Denning book looks like a good read, found a pdf copy for anybody interested. :smiley:

http://ia600308.us.archive.org/14/items/telescopicworkf00denngoog/telescopicworkf00denngoog.pdf

If you search for the Norton book on amazon it actually lists the "Norton Star Atlas And Telescopic Handbook" 1959 edition for sale..... £4, or you could go even further back and get the 1950 edition :)

I like some of the others am a "child of the 60's" - Nortons was my friend....

Over the years I actually managed to collect most of the editions, from the 1st edition through to the latest..

I do recommend the lastest edition. It provides a great reference book and provides answers to all those questions that seem to get asked by every novice. Should be compulsory reading.

Merlin66

it must be fascinating to see the differences through the various editions. The first edition must be interesting too. Is it valuable?

Prompted by this discussion I have ordered the latest one and it's on the way from Amazon. I'll be very interested to see how it compares.

As far as I recall it was the only book on the subject that I had in the sixties although I must have trawled the local library. With no Internet, the other sources of information were Sky at Night on the telly and the broadsheet newspapers would have a column and a map at the beginning of each month which were good for positions of planets etc.

Kerry

The 1st Edition took me over eight years to find! Not too many of them around.

It was interesting to compare the original Norton's with the "competition" available at the time...

Then also seeing the handbook section improve over the years as did the maps etc.

The latest version is much more comprehensive than the earlier ones and the maps are now all up to date.

Highly recommended.

Strangely, out of over a hundred books I used to have, I never owned Norton's.

My bible was the Hamlyn Guide to the Constellations later backed up by Burnham's.

Sadly all donated to the public library some years ago :(

Sent from my ZT ICS using Tapatalk HD

Paul,

When I returned from europe I found that the new house - "down sizing" would not take the thousands of books I'd collected over the years....

After a lot of soul searching (and mental anguish) I tried to donate a lot to the local schools/ libraries.

NOT ONE OF THEM ACCEPTED THE OFFER

"We already have too many books that the kids don't read"

"If you want to donate some iPads - we'd be interested"

Many of the books just ended up in the bin, or at Vinnies...

Paul,

When I returned from europe I found that the new house - "down sizing" would not take the thousands of books I'd collected over the years....

After a lot of soul searching (and mental anguish) I tried to donate a lot to the local schools/ libraries.

NOT ONE OF THEM ACCEPTED THE OFFER

"We already have too many books that the kids don't read"

"If you want to donate some iPads - we'd be interested"

Many of the books just ended up in the bin, or at Vinnies...

Unbelievable :(

I kind of knew our local head librarian. He was a real academic type. 2ft long ZZ Top beard and drove an old Messerschmitt 3 wheeler.

I took the books round in the van and his eyes lit up!

Everything from The Art of Electronics (Horrowitz and Hill) to Meteorology & Flight (Bradbury) with lots of astronomy (and Feynman!) in between.

He was particularly pleased with my beloved old original hardback copy of Cosmos (Sagan).

We were actually up-sizing at the time. I must have known that the MD would be needing the two "spare" bedrooms as walk in wardrobes.

At least I avoided any turf wars. :D

My copy of the new edition arrived. A great bargain at £11.51 (odd price!) from Amazon for a hardback book full of interesting data - and the star charts are still good and even clearer than my old edition. I can recommend

Kerry

Archived