Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Seems like ages..

Stargazer_00

Seems like ages since I last took my scope out in an evening to look up at the stars. It's probably around 6 weeks now, maybe more.

It seems of late that the evenings have been really long. I dont remember it taking till past midnight to get dark last year.

not really sure where I'm going with this, just wondering if anyone kinda feels a bit like astronomy got put to one side so far this summer. Im sure I was going out more frequently throughout last year's summer.I was saving really hard to get a new scope and right now I don't see any point at all buying it as I haven't been out for so long. the few nights that I've seen with clear skies have either been really windy (therefore pointless) or have that haze that blocks everything as well as full clouds. I've saved the £1300 I needed to get my new 14" flex tube now and I'm just looking at the money thinking... I could buy it now but what's the point. It's only going to sit in the shed gathering dust while I wait for autumn.

Do you think I should buy the scope or wait around? A good second hand deal could come up in the meantime which is good, or wose something else could take my fancy and take the budget and I might not ever get the will to save it all up again and live with my 10" forever.

not in any way losing interest in the hobby, but really am starting to see it as a late autumn/winter/early spring hobby rather than an all year rounder.

Summer is often the time to do other things, we're only 4 days away from the summer solstice, and it really doesn't get dark enough to do anything but planetary observing (depending on how far north you are). I'd say save up and wait for a good deal 2nd hand :).

I have discovered this year that one one of the greatest things about our hobby is to get out and do it with others and that means meeting up on a planned evening even if the weather isn't playing ball.

I had such a night on this Saturday past where we only probably got 20 mins of observing in due to the clouds and the hardly darkness but it is good to chat about stuff and learn off others and their experiences and it certainly for me adds some extra good quality to the hobby. I knew it wasn't going to be a great viewing evening but I went to meet up with a couple of friends and hopefully started to make a couple more.

With regards to observing and gear I feel that for our conditions you have to look at the hobby as a lifetimes commitment to collect its rewards and memories, it will never be a regular weekly or even monthly fill if that's what we go looking for. If we look at it over five years and then on to 10 or 20yrs, that has to be a collection that is worth waiting for.

I have discovered this year that one one of the greatest things about our hobby is to get out and do it with others and that means meeting up on a planned evening even if the weather isn't playing ball.

I had such a night on this Saturday past where we only probably got 20 mins of observing in due to the clouds and the hardly darkness but it is good to chat about stuff and learn off others and their experiences and it certainly for me adds some extra good quality to the hobby. I knew it wasn't going to be a great viewing evening but I went to meet up with a couple of friends and hopefully started to make a couple more.

With regards to observing and gear I feel that for our conditions you have to look at the hobby as a lifetimes commitment to collect its rewards and memories, it will never be a regular weekly or even monthly fill if that's what we go looking for. If we look at it over five years and then on to 10 or 20yrs, that has to be a collection that is worth waiting for.

+1

I completely agree. I remember the first time I spotted Venus when I first got my scope - it was certainly a 'wow' moment and that was only last year :).

Summer nights though short are full of many glories - principally Sagittarius which even in binoculars is a treasure trove. I only really began to appreciate this area of the sky last summer. Better than just polishing the Naglers !

andrew

Optical gear in general tends to gather dust most of the time, this includes binos, cameras, spotting scopes etc.

But when you get to use them the rewards are so good you remember why they are gathering dust.

Good quality optics pays off in the long run so does not work out as expensive as other hobbies, just enjoy!

I've certainly surprised myself in the patience regard. I always figured I'd jump the instant I had the money saved but right now I've no desire to buy anything because I don't want it to not be used. I think I'll probably wait until around late august /early september now for when the nights start to draw in. I'll sit on the money for the time being and try to find some summer hobbies.

I have been toying with the idea of a spotting scope for some casual birding. Maybe I'll give that a punt.

One thing I am quite wary of, I must say, is I've had a nagging urge to put a C8 on my AZ4 as a high magnfication lunar/planetary scope. I suspect a C8 on my AZ4 would offer an extremely potent setup and be quick and easy to use.

If a decent C8 were to pop up on the used market I'm not certain I wouldn't eat into my 14" budget and have to replenish it again...

Surprisingly for me i have suddenly discovered a new found patience and although I am itching to buy a new set of EP's, I am actually considering my options and waiting to see if some develop. I am telling myself that the reason to do this is partly due to limited scope time and saving the money at the same time so no rush. (although it will happen :grin: )

One thing I am quite wary of, I must say, is I've had a nagging urge to put a C8 on my AZ4 as a high magnfication lunar/planetary scope. I suspect a C8 on my AZ4 would offer an extremely potent setup and be quick and easy to use.

If a decent C8 were to pop up on the used market I'm not certain I wouldn't eat into my 14" budget and have to replenish it again...

I'm not sure you would want to put a C8 on an AZ4, it may not take the weight. Although, you could try it and it might work :):D.

Archived