Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Joined the Tal owners.. now I know what the fuss is about!

Sp@ce_d

No thanks to Parcel Farce but well worth the longer wait, I'm now the proud owner of a Tal 100RS. :laugh:

and you know what... my other half doesn't normally "DO" telescopes.. "oh yes, very nice dear" is the usual patronising retort if I've managed to excitedly drag her in front of the eyepiece for some once in a lifetime view!

But tonight.. oh yes.. tonight, when she came in from work to find me peering at the local landmarks out of the window she said... "Oh.. it's arrived... Hmm, that doesn't look like your other ones.... that actually looks like a real telescope.... can I have a look!!"

Oh yes.. yes.. yes yes....

A big thankyou to F15Rules for making a dream come true... :icon_salut: hehe.. think I might be on a promise tonight.. :grin: Crikey bet the clouds clear!

Well I got a chance to point it skywards tonight with a brief break in the clouds.... and it only gets better.. :grin:

I've only got it mounted on a camera tripod at the moment.. don't really want to disturb the imaging setup it the obsy. So its way under mounted. Think I'll either try and find something cheapish that will fit on my redundant EQ6 tripod, or look at a HEQ5 or the Celestron advanced VX as I'm bound to want to use a portable mount for imaging too at some point. Anyway..

I was hoping for shot at Venus and Mercury but the clouds never cleared to the horizon so..

First stop some Lunar observing.. nice... very nice. Good contrast.. and best summed up by my other half's comment.. "Thats the most impressive view I've had of the Moon" Hehe.. now.. believe me.. Thats a compliment.. oh yes.

Next up Saturn.. Now this is pretty low and in the murk really.. plus some thin cloud so not the best and a bit soft. I couldn't really push the magnification but still good definition in periods of better seeing.

Now for some stars. The sky doesn't really get dark here at this time of year.. still bluish, I picked out the most visible stars to take a peek at before the clouds rolled back in. Altair, Vega, Arcturus and their surrounding areas and was immediately impressed by the sharpness and almost 3d like appearance just hanging there.

Well, that was a quick first light and I wasn't disappointed. It can only get better and I can't wait to get it on a proper mount.. for once the other half is behind me on that one as she said she felt sea sick looking at Saturn when the wind picked up.. :grin:

I think the TAL 100 refractors are the best 4" achromat refractors you will get for less than £400 new :smiley:

I had one of the early ones imported to the UK (late 1999) and it was a very nice scope.

The Tal you have is a great scope and it comes with a bonus - if you are into H Alpha solar observing it can be 'modded' with a PST to provide wonderful solar details.

I had this in mind when I got it as I have a PST. However, I'm not sure I can bring myself to do it to this one. This has been flocked & the focuser tweeked before I became it's current guardian. :smiley: I may have to find another with less "history" to chop up :eek:

Weirdly F15 rules sold me my TAL 100RS a few years back - he must have bought another and sold it on again.....foolish person :)

I wouldnt ever sell mine - everything else would go first and times would have to be dire indeed before I would let it go.

An EQ5 will hang on to it quite well and are cheap as chips secondhand without GoTo. Mine rides an HEQ5 normally and its a joy on a very solid mount.

Weirdly F15 rules sold me my TAL 100RS a few years back - he must have bought another and sold it on again.....foolish person :)

I wouldnt ever sell mine - everything else would go first and times would have to be dire indeed before I would let it go.

An EQ5 will hang on to it quite well and are cheap as chips secondhand without GoTo. Mine rides an HEQ5 normally and its a joy on a very solid mount.

Yes he told me about that. Also said you've done a write up that I must get around to checking out. He's picked up a Vixen so had to move it on.. Luckily for me.

Im the same about my 100RS, i would sell all other gear before my lovely Russian went, its just suck a strong performer and a great all round scope

Archived