Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A start at M63 Sunflower Galaxy

x6gas

Thought I'd continue my summer spiral galaxy hunt and take a stab at M63 - the Sunflower Galaxy.

40 x 300s luminance, 41 flats applied, stacked in AstroArt 5, processed in CS2.

Scope: EdgeHD 11 w/ Optec Lepus reducer (f/6.2)

Mount: CGEM DX

Camera: Atik 490ex @ -18c, 1x1

Guiding: Atik OAG, IMG0H & PHD

gallery_11821_2478_143355.png

Needs more data...

very clean and sharp image,

are you going to add some colour.

Paul

That's definitely the plan Paul. I'm finding that some of these galaxies really fly with a relatively small amount of RGB... so a night on RGB and then another to get some more Lum would be cool!

More data !? Why, this is a brill capture ! Nice one ;)

Thanks Scott. I would definitely want to push the data harder - there is some interesting nebulosity - but I am not good enough at processing so data capture is all important! Seriously, thanks, but this has way more to give. Watch this space!

Beautiful start, and it can only get better with more data :). Would 10 minute subs be feasible?

Alas I don't think so Jonathan - not with my skies in mid-summer. I reckon I am pretty much near the limit in terms of capture.... but more from processing? Maybe!

Great start - wonderful detail :) Are you planning to add RGB?

Thanks Gina. Yes I do intend to get some RGB. I am curious to see if I can get away with ~an hour per channel, binned 3x3 as I did for M51 recently, or I might try the 460 binned 2x2 instead. I am hopefully going to get the chance to grab at least as much luminance again too...

Archived