NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

UHC filter

bomberbaz

I have been looking at a UHC filters, at the minute the one I have is a Baader UHC-S which appears to be more like a deep sky type filter than a dedicated UHC.

A UHC is arguably the most useful of the filters if you look here http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1520#top although I have not been able to corroborate most the findings. Although a few of them I have found to be right, notably M17 and the ring.

I have been looking at the profiles here. http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/filters/curves.htm I realise there is much more choice than this but does anyone have any preferences for a dedicated UHC filter.

Skywatcher always seems a popular choice but not found the raph of its parameters yet. Lumicon also seems a very popular choice when reading forums but can't find a UK seller, any ideas people?

Steve afa baz

The Baader UHC-S is a UHC but it's band pass width is more generous than other UHC filters which makes it useful in pretty small aperture scopes and less so with larger ones, in my opinion.

Having tried a few UHC filters the one I liked best (without getting into the Lumicon / Astronomik price bracket) was the Orion Ultrablock which is a UHC filter with a proprietary name.

I don't know what scope you know have Steve (it would be worth putting in your signature as it helps to know !) but if it's, say, 6" aperture or more you might want to go for a UHC first and then add an O-III as they are even more effective on some objects, particularly planetary nebulae and super nova remnants.

What the top quality filters seem to give in use seems to me to be are tighter star images and just a touch more contrast I think. The lower cost ones such as Skywatcher and Castell also seem to work pretty well though.

Currently I find I use just one filter and that's a 2" Astronomik O-III filter.

The Baader UHC-S is a UHC but it's band pass width is more generous than other UHC filters which makes it useful in pretty small aperture scopes and less so with larger ones, in my opinion.

Having tried a few UHC filters the one I liked best (without getting into the Lumicon / Astronomik price bracket) was the Orion Ultrablock which is a UHC filter with a proprietary name.

I don't know what scope you know have Steve (it would be worth putting in your signature as it helps to know !)

Cheers for reply john. Scope is an F5 12" Skywatcher Flex. I got the UHC-S when I had the 8" SCT as it seemed like a good all rounder from what i read in various threads at the time. I think shall hold onto it though as i believe it will still find use even in the larger 12" aperture of the flex. However i do want a more dedicated one. I did compare between a skywatcher UHC and the Baader UHC=S last time out and this was done on the Ring. They both had their own plus points. The baader gave the best all round view but the skywatcher had more definition.

I have seen the Orion one mentioned a few times but not followed through in all honesty, however seeing as you have mentioned it I shall have a look. Thanks for the heads up

Steve

ps, regarding the sig thing, I guess it would help to have the info to hand, good point.

Good lord I have just looked at the cost of the Lumicon / Astronomik UHC filters and I rather feel they are taking the proverbial. I realise their product is among the highest in quality but the hike in price from some of the other brands is a lot steep. ABS beckons.....

Some are pricey. I got my Astronomik used though so considerably less than the new price. You can pick up the Ultrablock's in the 2" size for £45 or so and I reckon they are very good for that price.

Steve.

The Astronomik must be rare on the secondhand market, I have been looking since last year for a 2 inch one and only saw one, that went in less than 2 hours. I did get an Olll though from a guy I bought a BGO 9mm from, it was 100 quid, I agree a fair cost but a good saving on new. I have not seen another since.

Alan

I have both the lumicon uhc and the orion ultrablock, they are both excellent filters, to my eyes they do work in slightly different ways as some objects appear better in either or. I will do a bit more investigating and get back to you. (I like the ultrablock as a moon filter)

as always mate you'd be welcome to try my Castell Oiii and UHC when we get together. you'll probably have changed both scopes, your car and moved house by then though the rate you're going :grin: :grin:

Yes my stuff is going through something of a rapid change, something to do with an impetuous and impulsive nature I have been told :grin:

(ps, and something to do with my dad winning 100K on deal or no deal :cool: )

What gets me is some manufacturers really crank up the price between 1.25 and 2 inch and others make a much more modest hike. I can't help feeling there is some excessive profiteering going on with some of them. I may be wrong but i would need convincing otherwise...........

Hi Steve, as you already have the UHC-S, which is quite a good filter, I would try the Sky Watcher OIII, it is very good and does what it says on the tin (well, errr, plastic case), hard to tell the difference in veiwing quality between this and the Lumicon in my untrained eyes to be honest.

Cheers Robin. I think that given the masses of information that for now i shall do nothing. As you say i have the UHC-S and this is a decent filter albeit quite a broad spectrum compared to some of the others, but it does a decent job.

If further down the line I find myself wanting in this area I shall get myself one of the others.

Cheers all anyway, its been worthwhile getting lots of views and opinions

Steve

What gets me is some manufacturers really crank up the price between 1.25 and 2 inch and others make a much more modest hike. I can't help feeling there is some excessive profiteering going on with some of them. I may be wrong but i would need convincing otherwise...........

I noticed the difference between the Astronomik and the others I've used in terms of the quality with with star images are rendered - they are much more pinpoint. I don't think Lumicon and Astronomik are guilty of excessive profiteering as they have been around long enough for their reputation to have been "found out" if it was lacking but there are lower cost choices which are good to use too :smiley:

I do see what you mean about stars with e.g. the Castell filters. they are certainly less pinpoint than without the filters but In fairness when I am looking through the filter I am not looking at stars, rather the nebulae etc - aesthetics do matter though.

Archived