OTA or complete kit

I have now saved a couple of thousand for a new refractor for imaging.

Still haven't quite decided on which one but a thought occurred to me, as I don't need another diagonal, finder, eyepieces etc will I get a better scope if all the money goes just to

the OTA

Williams Optic comes just with tube rings, Esprit comes with diagonal etc so you see my point.

Or should I carry on saving for another year for a Tak 106 ?

Dave

I'd ensure you get the tube rings with the scope at least - and possibly an ADM dovetail or plate to fit. And I dare say there's a paired reducer/flatenner you'll want as well. If it's for imaging only then you can use existing accessories as required. You'll only want duplicate diagonals, eyepieces, etc if you do some observing and want to have two scopes up at the same time. :)

(I assume you've already got the mount sorted out)

Then I'll have that big flat FOV and I'll have to buy a bigger camera so as not to waste it :)

Dave

Sounds like you've made up your mind, good to hear :).

P.S. Just in case you haven't, +1 for the Tak.

Sounds like you've made up your mind, good to hear :).

P.S. Just in case you haven't, +1 for the Tak.

Almost made my mind up to get Esprit then almost made my mind up to get WO110, now will have to raid the ISA for Tak, can't wait another year . :)

Can someone tell me the significance of the EDX 111 after the name of the FSQ106 ?

Dave

What - waste another year for a tacky Tak - just get imaging :police:

Already imaging with Revelation Apo (weather allowing) but get eggy stars around edges so thought a nice new scope would help.

PS anyone want to buy Revelation Apo ?

Dave

Yes, the 106 EDX III is a great scope! A perfect match for the upcoming 29050-based cameras ;)

Resist 29050... No more stuff now... Resist 29050... In the end I guess resistance is futile. But I won't buy a Borg, I will buy a 29050 ;)

/per

The EDX III doesn't have the "Captain's Wheel" camera angle adjuster BEFORE the focuser. In order to reduce flexure for imaging they removed the Captain's Wheel, put the focuser directly on the tube and added a new camera angle adjuster at the end. The latter takes the 0.73x reducer internally if you decide to get one of those.

It really doesn't matter which one you get, but the EDX III is supposed to be somewhat more robust. I think that if you get the reducer for the non EDX version they will make you get the new camera angle adjuster anyway, so you're better of with the EDX III.

Great scope! I have one myself!

/per

Archived