NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Please recommend some mounts for a long refractor

Hi All

What mount would be good for a long refractor. This refractor is D=80mm F=1200mm f/15, fairly long. It is kind of light in weight compared to my TAL-1 or SW200p, but the length of the OTA is 1.3 metre.

I was thinking of Skywatcher AZ3, or some kind of EQ mounts, but not sure, which one will be most suitable for this OTA. Many thanks.

Don't have a really longer frac, but find both the AZ 4 steel-tripod and the Celestron CG-5 mounts to be top-class. The former for easy grab-n-go, the latter for the rock of Gibraltar sturdiness.

sounds like a Towa f15 frac, it would work well on the AZ4 steel leg mount, or a CG 4 or EQ5, being a long tube they can be slightly awkward to mount, i have an f16.5 and it works on the AZ4, but you do end up with the ep low to the ground

Thanks for your recommendation - AZ4 and EQ5.

Both are a bit over budget for me, but I think it is worth it. Yep, looking at now, the AZ3 looks far too flimsy.

I was looking at the AZ4 and its reviews this morning on FLO site. Whilst it got glorious user reviews, the second reviewer John's "niggle on the AZ4's mounting point and scopes being done by one single screw - it is scary to put scopes which are heavy or expensive", is a bit unsure for as well. But otherwise, it seems a great mount. I will give some serious thought on the AZ4 and also the EQ5 as well.

I already tried the long 80mm frac on TAL-1 EQ mount, and I had to squat down to get to the EP with my eyes due to EP got low down, but with either AZ4 or EQ5, I presume it will be elevated considerably. Still might have to use a chair (observing chair might be an idea? :) while viewing? cheers.

Thanks agian.

BTW, this long 80mm frac, is an old Carton 80mm f=1200, f/15.

Trying it on TAL-1 EQ mount for a night or two, I quite liked it. The views are darker, but it seem more pleasing for the fact that it gives higher contrast images of faint stars. The colours of the stars are far more natural as well especially on bright ones.

Could it be the fact that due to smaller sized objective lens, it gets less afftecetd by light pollution? Certainly I felt I was seeing far more with this Carton than larger apertured scopes in heavily light polluted my back garden.

Cannot wait trying it on the Moon and some planets when they appear again in the sky.

BTW, this long 80mm frac, is an old Carton 80mm f=1200, f/15.

Trying it on TAL-1 EQ mount for a night or two, I quite liked it. The views are darker, but it seem more pleasing for the fact that it gives higher contrast images of faint stars. The colours of the stars are far more natural as well especially on bright ones.

Could it be the fact that due to smaller sized objective lens, it gets less afftecetd by light pollution? Certainly I felt I was seeing far more with this Carton than larger apertured scopes in heavily light polluted my back garden.

Cannot wait trying it on the Moon and some planets when they appear again in the sky.

I think most of the darker skies are accounted for by the higher magnification you are using but it is also true that having a narrow field of view and smaller apparture makes the sky seem darker

With the 80mm you are looking through a much narrower column of air, together with quality Japanese Carton optics, in a long focal length refractor, should , no doubt, give you some very rewarding views. The best stability I should think will come from a good rigid and long base plate, like an ADM with CNC mounting rings, if you can find the right size, mounted atop of an EQ5, 2" leg version, may help with vibration problems with the long 1.3m OTA :)

I've got both an AZ3 and an AZ4. I wouldn't put a long scope like that on an AZ3, it's fine for a PST solar scope, but no good for long or heavy stuff. If you can find one, the ideal would be an AZ4 with a pier extension. I got one through here for £150 delivered, and it's fantastic, copes with my Evostar 120/1000 just fine, and that's a much heavier scope than yours.

Sounds like a very nice scope! You could probably pick up an EQ5 second hand relatively cheaply (not sure what your budget is). If you have something like that you can always get a short extention pillar - this adds maybe 8" (depends what sort) between the tripod top and the mount and so means you don't need to get down on your knees when observing towards the zenith. Makes observing so much more pleasant if you are using a long refractor.

Thank you all for your input on this. After reading the recommendations, doing some research on internet, and also talking to some friends, I have now decided to stretch my budget, and go for the SkyTee-2 mount. This decision was also due to recent acquisition of a ST150 refractor OTA which is not too long, but quite heavy.

Having a few different scopes for different use seem to offer much more flexibility and fun and yes, the vintage Carton seem a quite interesting scope, although I have only tried briefly into the partially open sky through clouds.

When all the parts arrive in few days, and sky clears (hopefully soon), I will try them out for the first light.

The Skytee II would be a good choice now you have the larger aperture refractor to think of as well. It should make an interesting pairing with the long 80mm great for the moon, planets and binary stars while the 6" F/5 will suck in enough light to give some great views of deep sky objects and show a nice wide field of view when needed :smiley:

My usual comment on mounts is along the following lines.

Buy the biggest, most sturdy mount you can afford.

That way you are not restricted on scope types in the future.

But think about how you will use it. Is it going to be carried a long way, or in awkward places?

Basically a big mount hurts the wallet only once. But too big might hurt your back every time out.

I have a CG5 goto. Great for carrying around. But really an 8" newt or long frac are the limits.

I also have a D6. Mount weight 35Kg. Tripod, if used another 35Kg, then counterweights.

Needless to say this is firmly bolted to a concrete pier.

But I can throw all sorts of dual scope combinations on there without worrying about weight.

Nothing here about altaz vs eq, or motors, or goto.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with the Skytee2.

Before I have never appreciated the importance of sturdy mount, but now I know my scopes are only good as my mount. There is no point owning the best scopes with under mount, I feel. As you say, even if it made big hole in wallets, maybe it is worth going for something more substantial for the long run - then later, just change / upgrade scopes and EPs.

Sure - I will come back with my first light reviews with SkyTee-2 in few days. cheers.

I didn't quite realize how much difference a decent tripod makes, regardless of the mount itself. I had been making do with an old surveyors tripod for my Giro II and thought it was quite solid, although I was never particularly happy with the stability but wasn't sure what to replace it with. Anyway, Emad put his EQ6 tripod up for sale so I grabbed that, and have been delighted with the results. The Giro fits straight on with no adapter needed, and it is now just rock solid, hardly any vibration, and what there is damps down almost instantly.

Stu

I didn't quite realize how much difference a decent tripod makes, regardless of the mount itself. I had been making do with an old surveyors tripod for my Giro II and thought it was quite solid, although I was never particularly happy with the stability but wasn't sure what to replace it with. Anyway, Emad put his EQ6 tripod up for sale so I grabbed that, and have been delighted with the results. The Giro fits straight on with no adapter needed, and it is now just rock solid, hardly any vibration, and what there is damps down almost instantly.

Stu

Quite true. I have a CG5 tripod which is the same as the EQ6 but with an EQ5 / HEQ5 compatible hub. It's markedly more stable than the HEQ5 tripod despite it's legs being just 1/4 inch wider. The CG5 is taller than the HEQ5 too, which is nice for refractors.

The SkyTee-2 arrived, and set up this evenning. The tripod legs are thick and strong very secure. I sat the StarTravel 150 frac on it, then swung it about left right and up and down for about 40 minutes, and it feels rock solid. Great stuff.

Here are some photos.

First light with the SkyTee-2, Carton 80mm and StarTravel 150 last was great. All performed well. Especially impressed with the Carton 80mm f15 - sharp and excellent contrast was very pleasing experience.

Uploaded some mobile phone shots of the set up.

Clear skies to all.

Archived