Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQMOD and Guiding - Is there any point

johnb

So

I have EQMOD up and running with cartes du ciel, wireless xb controller and it works a treat, alignment and subsequent target acquisition is brilliant, once I have acquired my Target I Guide using PHD and with the cable between my guide camera and the mount.

I am aware that EQMOD had a capability to interface with PHD but my question what are the benefits?, my guiding is working fine now so why change

Thoughts appreciated

Regards

John B

A couple of advantages are there's one less cable and the ability to use VS-PEC.

also:

• extra guiding diagnostics
  • the ability to dynamically adjust the guiding strength from EQASCOM
  • a greater selection of guide rates.
if it ain't broke, don't fix it :smile:

.. or if you're seeking optimal performance give the "if it ain't broke, fix it till it is, then go back one step" approach a try!

Chris.

Also you can use other software to control the mount such as AstroTortilla to point your scope exactly back where it was the previous session so you can continue imaging exactly where you left off and the framing will be perfect. Yes, it's well worth using EQMOD when you get into imaging on a serious basis. But if things are working well for you, don't rush into changing it - that can always come later.

While Chris is around and reading this thread I'd just like to say a heart felt THANK YOU for a great piece of softwaare :) :) And also for continuing support :)

For me, the ability to adjust guide rates through eqmod and watch the effects in real time was the most benefit, and enabled very long exposures at nearly 3m fl.

Not only that, the excellent documents about the guide display make it easy to diagnose pointing errors just by looking at the graph.

Archived