Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

BST EYEPIECE

They are different designs. The former has a better reputation than the latter. The 8mm BST Explorer EDs are now called Starguider EDs, there is no difference, just a name change.

The BST Explorer/StarGuider has a AFoV of 60 degrees, not that you would notice the difference, and I think ergonomically they are better designed. With the 8mm StarGuider you need to use it with the twist-up eyecup fully extended, as there is a tendency for this particular focal length to black-out. This does not take away from the superb nature of this eyepiece, which is a very comfortable one to use in any telescope.

The BST wide angle are just for planetary observing, I find them very good

for viewing the moon, also great value for money, the StarGuider are for general

observation, both are good quality for the price, and the planetary are cheaper.

Clear Sky's

For the OP, if you search on here you will find very favourable comments on the Starguiders, I have 4 of them and am very happy with all of them, especially the 18mm.

+1 for the BST Explorers (Starguider) eyepieces. I found them to be great in the sizes 5mm, 8mm, 12mm, 15mm. In my f/5 scope the 18mm and 25mm were a little soft around the edge but otherwise good.

+1 for the BST Explorers (Starguider) eyepieces. I found them to be great in the sizes 5mm, 8mm, 12mm, 15mm. In my f/5 scope the 18mm and 25mm were a little soft around the edge but otherwise good.

Fair comment in my opinion.

Just bought 3 BST's of Alan at skies the limit to give them a whirl, everyone raves about them so I thought it was time to try them out. I'm a sucker for vixen NPL's though so it will be interesting to see the comparison.

Just bought 3 BST's of Alan at skies the limit to give them a whirl, everyone raves about them so I thought it was time to try them out. I'm a sucker for vixen NPL's though so it will be interesting to see the comparison.

Hi Helite, often best used with the eyecups twisted up to their full extent.

Archived